Where can I adopt a sulcata in Michigan?

JoshuaL

Location (City and/or State)
Chelsea michigan
Hello I’m from Michigan and I have recently bought the stuff needed for a hatchling sulcata but I’m not sure where I can get one close to me near Ann Arbor Michigan someone let me know if there are any reputable sources around. Thank you

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hatchling Sulcata are almost never given away. Adult or sub adult are. And often.
Try a "wanted" add in your local Craigslist and watch out for scams.
Welcome to the forum!

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Agreed, people "sell" hatchlings by the boatload (at least here in CA) and people buy them and they don't know how to care for them and they are not well started so they die. Those that manage to keep them alive (again here in CA, much easier than where you are) eventually tire of them or realize they don't have the resources once they are a few years old. You can see them on craigslist like this one

that said, I don't see many sulcata in your area (likely because most die), but I do see a LOT of Russians. They are much more suitable to your environment and way way easier to keep.

Also, just FYI Sulcata are THE WOST tortoise species to keep as pets.

(
)

And for anyone who is thinking of keeping one roaming around their house (like Ethel the Glamour Tort) that is definitely a case "IG vs Real Life). Everyone who wants a sulcata in their house should know this is what they are likely to get:

z5buxv2twye11.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yeah,agree, you likely will have to buy a hatchling but can adopt older ones. Google local reptile clubs and rescues.

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
Agreed, people "sell" hatchlings by the boatload (at least here in CA) and people buy them and they don't know how to care for them and they are not well started so they die. Those that manage to keep them alive (again here in CA, much easier than where you are) eventually tire of them or realize they don't have the resources once they are a few years old. You can see them on craigslist like this one

that said, I don't see many sulcata in your area (likely because most die), but I do see a LOT of Russians. They are much more suitable to your environment and way way easier to keep.

(
)

And for anyone who is thinking of keeping one roaming around their house (like Ethel the Glamour Tort) that is definitely a case "IG vs Real Life). Everyone who wants a sulcata in their house should know this is what they are likely to get:

z5buxv2twye11.jpg
Hay Mom, I'm taking a shortcut! LOL

JoshuaL

Chelsea michigan

(
)

z5buxv2twye11.jpg
Thank you for your help I’ve decided I’m making a decision based off how fun I’m imagining it would be to own one of these tortoises I’m sure they are great to have with the perfect climate but that won’t be possible for me so I’m gonna go with a smaller tortoise. Thanks again!

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Thank you for your help I’ve decided I’m making a decision based off how fun I’m imagining it would be to own one of these tortoises I’m sure they are great to have with the perfect climate but that won’t be possible for me so I’m gonna go with a smaller tortoise. Thanks again!
Wise man. You will be a good tortoise owner!

Read the FAQs here so you can get yourself set up properly for the best outcome