Native Plant Supplier in Mason, Michigan

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Posting this for any other Michigan residents interested in either native plants for their tortoise garden or just landscaping in general.

I'm a big advocate for native landscaping because it's better for the ecosystem (which includes the native animals who depend on those plants for food) and it costs you less money to maintain! Native plants are better adapted to their environment, while invasive species can destroy the delicate ecological balance of an area. I'll climb off the soapbox now. ;)

Only open to the public three weekends in May and one weekend in August. Sorry I missed last weekend; just stumbled upon this site!

Wildtype Native Plant Nursery
http://www.wildtypeplants.com/retail.html

Several native Michigan plants are tortoise-safe, such as Aster, Coreopsis, Echinacea purpurea, Geranium, Hibiscus, Monarda, Rosa, Spiraea, and Opuntia (yes, we do have a native Michigan cactus!). :eek:

For more native nurseries, check out the Michigan Native Plant Producers Association (MNPPA) website: http://www.mnppa.org/members.html :<3:

We've also purchased natives from Greg at The Native Plant Nursery LLC in Ann Arbor (which is also on MNPPA's list) so I can recommend him too. Hubby and I are going to check out Wildtype soon too.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
There aren't many people left that love this city, but I am still one of them. Are you still in Saginaw or is it just where you are from?
No I'm in tort heaven: Phx , AZ ! But I'll be returning in June to see my oldest grandson graduate high school the first time I've been there in at least 10 yrs !

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
There aren't many people left that love this city, but I am still one of them. Are you still in Saginaw or is it just where you are from?
From the southeast part of the mitten for me.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
FYI, we visited Wildtype last week when they were open to the public. Had an excellent time. Both the employees and other customers were clearly all plant geeks, and ones especially interested in native plants. Gardeners always enjoy my tortoise enclosure stories (they can make for a good conversation starter)! :) There were a lot of helpful, knowledgeable people out and about on the cold and windy day. It was definitely worth the trip and if we had more yard space for more plants, we would undoubtedly return again soon for more! Hubby definitely bought more than I did, but I still bought more tort plants than I'd thought I would. :rolleyes:

Definitely a good review for Wildtype. I'm hoping to review other native plant suppliers in the future and will post them on the forum for others.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Upcoming retail sale at Wildtype Nursery: August 26-28!! Come out to Mason for native plants, delicious tort food for Michiganders! I don't think they will be open to the public again until next May, so don't say I didn't tell you! ;)

http://www.wildtypeplants.com/retail.html