When is humidity not as important?

BowDownBowser

Location (City and/or State)
Jacksonville, Florida
I have a hatchling Sulcata now. I am curious though as he gets bigger and is always outside or in an outdoor hide/box humidity won't be able to be controlled. I've read a lot about how high humidity (80% or greater) is important. So at what Age/Size is the high humidity no longer a concern? Also is there a such thing as too much humidity for a hatchling?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No, there really is no concern for too much. For the first year of the Sullies life, you should keep him in the higher humidity. During the nice sunny days, you can put him outside for an hour or so, then back in the high humidity. After the first year, at least give them a high humidity sleeping enclosure for the night time. After about two years or 8 inches, and for their life, it wouldn't hurt to offer a humid hide.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
In FL, this probably won't be an issue for you. I put hatchlings out for an hour a day or so, and I leave them out longer and longer as they gain size, but they come back in and sleep in their humid indoor enclosures every night. Once they get to 5-6", I leave them outside all day long, weather permitting. I move them out full time with a heated night box once they hit about 8-10". I don't go by age. I go by size.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
hahahahahaha - wellington - I was going to say.. "Once they're dead or you don't have them anymore.. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!