sulcata in outside set up

sulcata1861

I wanted some advice as to what age a sulcata hatchling can be left in an outside or open enclosure environment.. right now I keep him in an enclosed set up to control temp and humidity but it's near impossible to have high humidity in an outside enclosure in tx.... so at what age does the humidity not hv to be around 80%?

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
It's not just the humidity that's an issue. It is also the danger from predators. They can be picked up by birds. I believe Tom said that they could start living outside full time around age 5, as long as you provide them a heated night box. There are ways to set up the night box to have humidity. You can set them outside during the day before that. Soaking helps a lot.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Yesterday, I rode one of my motorcycles to work and on my way home, at a stoplight, Something in the sky caught my eye. It was a large, eagle type bird with what looked like a water turtle in it's claws. It was a rather large turtle, too.
Kind of alarming for someone who keeps his tortoises outdoors like I do and something to consider.

sulcata1861

It's not just the humidity that's an issue. It is also the danger from predators. They can be picked up by birds. I believe Tom said that they could start living outside full time around age 5, as long as you provide them a heated night box. There are ways to set up the night box to have humidity. You can set them outside during the day before that. Soaking helps a lot.
Thank you! Before I keep him outside I'll definitely build an enclosure with a closed top but was planning on using chicken wire for the top part... I still hv a few years before I'll house him outside through spring/summer tho.

sulcata1861

Yesterday, I rode one of my motorcycles to work and on my way home, at a stoplight, Something in the sky caught my eye. It was a large, eagle type bird with what looked like a water turtle in it's claws. It was a rather large turtle, too.
Kind of alarming for someone who keeps his tortoises outdoors like I do and something to consider.
Yeah that can be an eye opener!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I wanted some advice as to what age a sulcata hatchling can be left in an outside or open enclosure environment.. right now I keep him in an enclosed set up to control temp and humidity but it's near impossible to have high humidity in an outside enclosure in tx.... so at what age does the humidity not hv to be around 80%?

My climate is also very dry. Here is what I do:
1. Hatchlings and babies get an hour or two of sunshine a day in a safe, wire covered enclosure during nice weather. They get a nice long, warm soak on the way in for about 30-40 minutes. I try to do this at least 2 or 3 days a week, but every day is good too, if you can swing it.
2. As they gain size I leave them out longer and longer, until they reach about 5" and I start leaving them outside most of each day in a large planted pen with lots of shade and hiding spots. They still get soaked daily and sleep inside in their warm humid closed chambers. Not a big deal if you have to skip a day now and then for weather or a busy schedule. Over winter they sometimes stay inside for two or three weeks at a time, so its important that their indoor accommodations are large and well designed.
3. Once they reach 8-10" I put a heated shelter in their outdoor enclosure and move them outside full time. Basically they go from sleeping inside in a warm humid box, to just staying outside and sleeping in a warm humid box.
4. There is no point in 40 or 100 gallon tanks for these guys in my experience. When started properly and well cared for, they simply outgrow those things in 2 or 3 months. Mine reach 5" in six or seven months, and are ready to live outside full time by 12-18 months. Just build a 4x8' closed chamber and that will last them until its time to live outside with a heated shelter full time. I start babies in tubs with substrate for outside time, but quickly move to ground enclosures once they reach about 3". Mine reach 10" with this routine relatively quickly. At 5 years they are 22-24" long and weigh 50 pounds. They grow surprisingly fast when they are well hydrated, kept warm and fed correctly.

Hope this helps. Please ask for clarification or more info wherever needed. :)

Kadels

5 Year Member
3. Once they reach 8-10" I put a heated shelter in their outdoor enclosure and move them outside full time. Basically they go from sleeping inside in a warm humid box, to just staying outside and sleeping in a warm humid box.
Tom - what do you do for humidity outside? I can't do standing water - I already have too many mosquitos.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I live in central California and back before I knew about humidity requirements I fought pyramiding like most of us. I did find that once I moved them outside more full time - about the same size Tom does, the pyramiding dramatically smoothed out. I now know what was happening is they started spending lots of time grazing the grass and hiding under bushes where the humidity was naturally high even though the outside humidity reading showed it very dry. They found their own microclimates. I believe with a planted, irrigated yard even in a "dry" climate. They choose their spots and the humidity on the lawn and under bushes is quite different. I also had the sprinklers set to go on twice a day to keep things growing and the tortoises thrived with 90 - 105 degree temps and 10-20% humidity weather

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tom - what do you do for humidity outside? I can't do standing water - I already have too many mosquitos.

We get mosquitos in warm weather here too. I've never had any mosquito issues inside my night boxes with tubs of water.

If you think it would be a problem, you could put mosquito netting or window screen over the tops of your open tubs.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
We get mosquitos in warm weather here too. I've never had any mosquito issues inside my night boxes with tubs of water.

If you think it would be a problem, you could put mosquito netting or window screen over the tops of your open tubs.
Will they be tubs or a semi permanent water feature?
I have minnows in anything in my yard that contains water. Including my tortoises swimming pools. They are dirt cheap and eat any larvae..
This is friggin' mosquito central!!
In the dryer winter months, I use an overhead misting system. But a standard garden hose and a sprinkler would also work.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I live in central California and back before I knew about humidity requirements I fought pyramiding like most of us. I did find that once I moved them outside more full time - about the same size Tom does, the pyramiding dramatically smoothed out. I now know what was happening is they started spending lots of time grazing the grass and hiding under bushes where the humidity was naturally high even though the outside humidity reading showed it very dry. They found their own microclimates. I believe with a planted, irrigated yard even in a "dry" climate. They choose their spots and the humidity on the lawn and under bushes is quite different. I also had the sprinklers set to go on twice a day to keep things growing and the tortoises thrived with 90 - 105 degree temps and 10-20% humidity weather
I'm glad to read your explanation. Charlie has been living outside since he was 5 and his shell is fairly smooth. After joining this forum, I was concerned about whether he was getting enough humidity, since our climate is so dry. When he had a burrow, I felt more secure because I'm sure it was moist underground. He did spend a long time grazing on wet grass. We are no longer allowed to run our sprinklers during the day so he can't "run through the sprinklers" like he used to.

Kadels

5 Year Member
Will they be tubs or a semi permanent water feature?
I have minnows in anything in my yard that contains water. Including my tortoises swimming pools. They are dirt cheap and eat any larvae...

I'd like to hear more about this - have you posted info/pics anywhere?