What's too cold?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SailingMystic

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chester County, PA
Hi there,
I have a three-toed box and a Russian and they are excited about spring :) they were outside in 70 to 80 degree afternoons this week, but as soon as the temps dropped to 60 I brought them inside. What's too cold? This week will be cooler-- but they still seem to want to be outside!!???

I know I'm being over protective, but I don't want them to get sick...

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Were they indoors at normal activity temperatures before putting them out during the recent warm spell? Or were they hibernated outdoors?
If they were previously indoors and temperatures are going to be dropping back down below the mid 60's during the daytime and below the mid 50's at night they would be better off back indoors permanently until more warmer more steady temperatures arrive.
If they were hibernated outdoors they can be left outdoors through the upcoming cooler weather.
Both species that you mention can easily withstand much colder temperatures and even live outdoors in your area year round. But only if properly acclimated and given adequate shelter to withstand cold periods and brumate.

SailingMystic

5 Year Member
Chester County, PA
Thank you! Both were kept indoors this winter. It was a mild winter and one was a rescue so they didn't hibernate. However, They were out and enjoying this warm weather spell this week during the day only-- and now the turtle really wants to go back outside. The Russian is enjoying the heat again inside and seems to not mind being back indoors. The turtle has been pigging out on worms, etc, so I wasn't sure what to do. Since eating while it was sunny and warm and now boom-- temps dropping :(

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I agree with GB, and I totally feel your annoyance with the weather...lol I have four adult CDTs that brumated indoors this year and have been out when it was warmer a few weeks ago, even got to stay out over night for about a week and a half...then started to have to bring them in during the evenings and now it looks like they will be on house arrest for the next day or two completely...they will not be pleased...but I will wait to tell them until later....lol :p

Status
Not open for further replies.