Outside, too cold?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyingsqueak

5 Year Member
What's too cold to take a russian tortoise outside for a half hour or an hour? I live in Chicago and it's beginning to get cold, but I want to give my little guy as much outside time as possible.

flyingsqueak

5 Year Member
I'm not talking about acceptable housing temperatures, but what's acceptable for a short trip outside to run around and get some real sun.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
This depends on a lot of factors. When it gets too cold they will just become inactive and look for a place to cozy up and hibernate. Also depends on how dry or damp it is. Dry and cool would not worry me as much as damp and cool.

I sun my tropical torts when its 60 degrees out sometimes. I do this only when its sunny and not windy and I do it in tall sided big black rubber tubs. The sides block the wind and the black surface heats up to 85-90 in the sun even on a cool winter day here.

I think russians can tolerate it much colder than a sulcata, but much below 60 and I don't think they will be warm enough to get much benefit from being outside. I'd love to hear what people with more russian experience have to say.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Russians come from the mountains of Afghanistan, so while 65 degree Chicago weather is not the best, I imagine it would be a lot nicer than those mountain temps.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Russian tortoises can easily withstand and be active in temperatures outdoors into the mid 60's as long as there is no dampness or excessive wind. But they won't typically be active in those lower temperatures without some sunshine. The sunshine will actually warm their bodies to a temperature higher than the surrounding air by means of heat absorbtion. Night time temperatures can also be much lower than 65 degrees. Russian tortoises do well with a temperature differential of 15-20 degrees from night to day provided that those daytime temperatures are within a normal activity range of 72-84.

flyingsqueak

5 Year Member
Thanks so much! As long as it's in the 60s I'm going to try and get him outside for a chance to stretch his legs and see the sun.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
The scientific literature says that, in the wild, male Russian tortoises become active on sunny, still days with a minimum air temperature of 63°F. Females need slightly higher air temperatures, probably because they are bigger and take a bit longer to warm up.

Having said that, I've taken my 4-inch Russians out on sunny, still days with an air temperature of about 68°F, and they weren't particularly active. They probably just put up with those relatively low temps in the wild because they're hungry! So, I just take them out when it's 72-82°F, and they are quite active in that range, foraging and walking about.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
flyingsqueak said:
Thanks so much! As long as it's in the 60s I'm going to try and get him outside for a chance to stretch his legs and see the sun.

That sounds like a good plan to me. Sunshine is so good for torts.

Status
Not open for further replies.