Is Sid too cold?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
CT
My 32.5 Sulcata Sid is still living outside because he has a heated house and lot's of grass and weeds he can still graze on. It has been getting up into the mid 60's during the day and at night his house has never gone below 71 degrees. Last night it went down to freezing outside and we had a full frost. Sid's house temp dropped to 57 degrees with 46% humidity. His house is a wooden structure that has a heat mat and a large CHE but is not insulated. Tonight the weather is expected to be the same but then we are having a freak heat wave and it will be a week of temp's in the 70's and 80's. Here is my question… Should I bring him in at night and then back out when it warm's up or will he be okay for one more night of this? I am also concerned that while the temp is low while the humidity is high and I do not want him to get an RI just before he has to come in for the winter. What do you think?

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
Hey Erin! Yup our weather's really bottoming out. We have frost on the ground too! :( I don't mind saying that I'm not the tortoise expert, but those temps are a bit scary! I'm obsessed with my torts temps and check it often (and I mean offfftennn!). I'd go with my gut feeling and bring him in. This is an opinion based on my personal preference, but I'm sure some of the experts will be better equipped to handle your question--STAY WARM! That warm spell is right around the corner! :)

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Ct..I can't answer if it's to cold for Sid...But am wondering if you are reading the temp on top of the heat mat...the heat displaced by the heat mat will quickly disperse in the air... But anything up against it will warm up as it is constant heat source and the Tortoise will absorb the heat transfer...He also would not dissipate the heat as fast..do to his size..

If it is too cold.. What are the chances you can add another heater....

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Tony the tank said:
Ct..I can't answer if it's to cold for Sid...But am wondering if you are reading the temp on top of the heat mat...the heat displaced by the heat mat will quickly disperse in the air... But anything up against it will warm up as it is constant heat source and the Tortoise will absorb the heat transfer...He also would not dissipate the heat as fast..do to his size..

If it is too cold.. What are the chances you can add another heater....
My heat sensor is actually on the opposite side of the house away from the heat sources and it is up on a ledge. So maybe he is warmer than I am reading. I would go take his temp but I don't want to move his door and introduce unnecessary cold air. But you make a great point, thanks!

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
This may sound crazy..but you can purchase small digital thermometers that record highs and lows... Then tape it to his shell in the evening...Thats an easy way to actually record his highs and lows temp throughout the evening...

But if it's clear across the room and elevated above the CHE and Mat..I would say you are not getting an accurate temp reading for his immediate area....and since it's not insulated I'm sure the heat that rises is just being wicked away through the walls..

I would bet that I his immediate area is a lot warmer than you think...

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
HI....if memory serves me :D didn't Sid recently go through antibiotic treatments for the abscess? I personally would still keep him warm....just my gut feeling, no scientific basis....the temps should still be up for him as he went through a little trauma with the abscess procedure and treatment.... :D

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Thank's guy's I will be bringing him in tonight. BTW- I noticed that I wrote my "32.5 Sulcata" I obviously meant pounds not age. Ooops, haha!

I like the idea of taping a digital thermometer to his carapace. I might do something like that next year around this time. It will sure beat going outside during the night with my temp gun!

Status
Not open for further replies.