Is 46 degrees F too cold for a RT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirbybirby

5 Year Member
My Russian Tortoise hasn't been outside in quite sometime because it's winter and I know he loves being outside. And today is one of the nicer days so I was just wondering if 46 degrees F is too cold for him. It's not too cold for me, but that's because I've been use to 20 degree days. I'd love to take him outside for a while today, so let me know. Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Gabey:

If you can find a sheltered area where the sun is shining, but the wind/breeze can't reach, then you can put him outside in the sun. The ambient temp may be 46, but in the sun its much warmer.

kirbybirby

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi Gabey:

If you can find a sheltered area where the sun is shining, but the wind/breeze can't reach, then you can put him outside in the sun. The ambient temp may be 46, but in the sun its much warmer.

Yeah i have a place like that in my yard so ill take him out there today. :D

kirbybirby

5 Year Member
ascott said:
Yeah...60 is the neighborhood I look for as well :D

Hm okay... Maybe there'll be a warmer day sometime soon. I know he hates being inside his habitat every single day.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
The air (ambient temp) might be 46, but if you have a sunny corner, especially near a patio or gravel, etc., that specific area might be warmer, >60. The sun can really warm things up.
If that is the case, you could take him out even for a short time.

Status
Not open for further replies.