What type of Tortoise should I get?

Cake

Location (City and/or State)
New York
I am interested in getting a tortoise for my son's birthday (he's been wanting one for a long time).
He's turning 12 so I would obviously help him take care of the tortoise. I was wondering what type of tortoise would be best for him. I've been looking at the Russian tortoise, and the red foot tortoise. Would either of those types be good? What would be a good starter tortoise, that is interactive?( We live in New York)

Last edited:

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Both of those would be great and are one of the better starter tortoises. I'd say Russian though as they stay smaller. Redfoots over time will need to be in a large enclosure inside. Much larger than a Russian would require.

M

Maggie Cummings

Russians are a good starter tortoise, but they are also great escape artists. You could also consider box turtles, they are personable, easy to keep and fun to have. They are often overlooked when someone is looking for a tortoise, but box turtles are great to have, an easy size to keep and very personable...you might look into one before you decide on a tortoise...

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Species :Russian,Gender:male.A male russian stays under 6 inches,usually. An adult will be hardier,just get a complete parasite check done, and pick one without a RI.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Tortoise and interactive don't belong in the same sentence. We take care of them and watch them. They accept food & care from us. A shift in expectations will prevent disappointment.

A russian or hermann's would do well in New York. A box turtle would do well if you can give it an outdoor habitat. If you can't have it outside for the summer, stick to one if the above mentioned tortoises

I base my recommendation on living in central New York & keeping all of these. Climate can work with you or not.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Single Russian tortoise will always be a good Russian. If your son, one day or you, one day thinking of getting another tortoise. Your nightmare will start. Unless you keep them in two enclosure.

Best wishes and have fun.

Cake

New York
Is a CherryHead tortoise a good beginners tortoise? I've been interested In getting a tortoise for my son's birthday (He's turning 12) and I was thinking of getting him the CherryHead because of the bright coloring, and size of the tortoise. Would they be good beginners tortoise?

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
I'd stay away from Redfoots or CherryHeads as a beginner, especially with a child. I'm sure it's been done, but with their added humidity and dietary needs, they're a little more work (and oftentimes a little more costly in upkeep) than other species. Plus, their size also means they need a much bigger enclosure, which is something to consider.

I really can't recommend Russians or Hermanns enough as a beginner species.

alysciaingram

5 Year Member
Florida
I personally don't think cherry heads are very good beginner torts. They take a lot of effort and their care includes a lot of maintenance and a pretty strict routine. I own two Cherries, four Sulcatas, and have been keeping for nine years. When I brought my cherries home they were quite a surprise. I found it funny how easy my sulcatas seemed to be after purchasing my next breed. My vote is box turtle if you like the colors. If not definitely one if the smaller breeds mentioned above. You child is going to be thrilled to be getting a life long gift. :)

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
What species interest your son? I think that's the only thing that really matters.

Cake

New York
okay thank you everybody! I'm thinking of getting him a hermanns tortoise

How large should a enclosure be for a full grown hermann tortoise?

Last edited by a moderator:

Cake

New York
I just found out hermann tortoises hibernate, I've also read that you can have them not hibernate. Could somebody explain?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Hibernation, or more accurately brumination, is simply a biological respons to cold weather and shorter days, you can keep tortoise out of brumination, by simmply providing, warmth, and longer light cycle during winter.

Draekonic

Basically, they only hibernate during periods of low temperatures and little food.

-Draekonic

caligull

5 Year Member
You can hibernate a Hermann's if you want, but hibernation requires care. The tort needs to be kept at a low temperature, ideal is 45-50ish. The temperature can not be freezing (32), or above 60 degrees. Obviously, freezing kills and at 60, the tort's body comes out of hibernation. There is a process that is necessary before you hibernate a tortoise and you need a place to keep him while he hibernates. Easily done, but requires some effort on your part. Lots of info on how to accomplish this if you choose to hibernate.

If you choose not to hibernate, you have to make sure that the tort is kept at a warm temperature with a heat lamp so his body functions properly and feed him just like normal. And of course he would need a UV light to keep him healthy as well.

My preference is a Hermann.

Caligull :)

Cake

New York
Would a 48x30x12 enclosure be good for a full grown Herman tortoise?