Curious (what species should I get?)

MsCarter

Hello all,
I would love to eventually get a tortoise or turtle of some sort I think they are so cute! However before that time comes I have a lot of research to do as I know very little about them.
I'm wondering if you guys would have any recommendations for a particular type of tortoise that would be best for a beginner? Is there any that do not get too big and make friendly companions?
Thanks in advance for any responses

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Hello all,
I would love to eventually get a tortoise or turtle of some sort I think they are so cute! However before that time comes I have a lot of research to do as I know very little about them.
I'm wondering if you guys would have any recommendations for a particular type of tortoise that would be best for a beginner? Is there any that do not get too big and make friendly companions?
Thanks in advance for any responses

A very warm welcome to the forum!:D

Personally, I do not think that torts can become that friendly, unlike dogs and cats. I love :<3: Oli (my Greek tort), however, I have to say: "Torts only run for food!" They do not need/like company.:(

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. The most recommend first tort is a Russian, Hermanns or Greek. Check them out and read care sheets, which is similar among the three and see which one you like the most. What ever you decide to get we are here to help you out.

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Russians are amazing, I have one. They are known for being very feisty. ;) They only grow to be about eight inches. Greeks have a prettier shell, though. (Don't tell my tortoise I said so.)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I have a Greek.
They are easier to keep than some species, it would seem, and they don't get too big.
My Tidgy is quite happy being stroked and handled.
Welcome to the Forum, Ms Carter. :)

Marinated mamma

South east uk
A very warm welcome to the forum!:D

Personally, I do not think that torts can become that friendly, unlike dogs and cats. I love :<3: Oli (my Greek tort), however, I have to say: "Torts only run for food!" They do not need/like company.:(
Nope I disagree my Leo is into loving n playing he comes up to put his face on my face if I hold him and meshell is pretty tame too but not so loving but my Olivia just runs for food if there's no food she don't wanna stay but Leo has fallen asleep on my chest with his face on my neck n I've fallen asleep like this too out in the sun on a lounger! My neighbours think its hilarious. My boy is very loving but he's been handled a lot since both and there's some pros n cons to that but he was raised like that before I got him and to be honest I'm very hands on I know some don't agree with it but hey that's me I wannabe love my babies with misses n hugs
Not being offensive Gillian to your beliefs at all just expressing my opinion

Marinated mamma

South east uk
Back to what species you think you should get hmmm do some research get some up to date books and see what one you think suits your environment your lifestyle your preferences etc good luck and have fun choosing as I know what ever you choose you will love

MsCarter

Thank you all for your comments and advice. I will definitely take my time and research some of the types you guys have mentioned. I would love to have one that wouldn't mind being handled and wouldn't be stressed out by me. I relate a lot to Marinated mammas statement about being "a hands on person". It would be very hard for me to not show some type of affection. The bond you seem to have with yours would be something I would certainly want to accomplish with one. Is this rare? Do you guys think It's much more unlikely that one will ever actually enjoy being handled?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
My Tidgy likes a neck rub or head rub, even a shell rub, sometimes but hates her limbs being touched.
I wouldn't say she 'likes' being handled, as in picked up, but she puts up with it okay.
It seems that some tortoises are more tolerant and curious than others, even in the same species or hatch, they have different 'personalities'.
You may end up with a shy tort or an outgoing one, but the more you handle it when young, the more likely it will be for it to get used to it and even 'enjoy' contact, in my opinion.

MsCarter

Thank you I appreciate the feedback. I've done a little research and think I'm going to go with a Greek once the time is right. They seem to be better suited for a newbie like myself.
Before that time comes I would like to have a suitable outside enclosure built as well as a nice indoor home for the cooler months. So I still have some planning, preparing, and research to complete before I will be able to obtain one of these cuties :)

Once I'm all set I'll keep you guys posted and possibly ask for more needed advice. Big thanks to you all

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Thank you I appreciate the feedback. I've done a little research and think I'm going to go with a Greek once the time is right. They seem to be better suited for a newbie like myself.
Before that time comes I would like to have a suitable outside enclosure built as well as a nice indoor home for the cooler months. So I still have some planning, preparing, and research to complete before I will be able to obtain one of these cuties :)

Once I'm all set I'll keep you guys posted and possibly ask for more needed advice. Big thanks to you all
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy, go Greeks! :)
i expect you've read http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/greek-tortoise-testudo-graeca-care-sheet-overview.87146/ ?
Any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Marinated mamma

South east uk
Thank you all for your comments and advice. I will definitely take my time and research some of the types you guys have mentioned. I would love to have one that wouldn't mind being handled and wouldn't be stressed out by me. I relate a lot to Marinated mammas statement about being "a hands on person". It would be very hard for me to not show some type of affection. The bond you seem to have with yours would be something I would certainly want to accomplish with one. Is this rare? Do you guys think It's much more unlikely that one will ever actually enjoy being handled?
I dunno about other people but I am sure it's possible you would just have to be very hands on like myself. I have been bitten once by my girl Olivia but that's because I have come to learn she is very motivated by food and like myself she needs to eat before doing anything! My tortoises all have very different personalities and it is important to get to know what and how your little guy/gal works before you overly handle them but when my gals were little I put my hand in thier enclosure and waited for them to come to me and they do very quickly start to respond to your voice! But my best advice for loving tortoises is to cuddle and be with them as much as possible. Others may disagree with me but that's how mine are so very friendly

MsCarter

I dunno about other people but I am sure it's possible you would just have to be very hands on like myself. I have been bitten once by my girl Olivia but that's because I have come to learn she is very motivated by food and like myself she needs to eat before doing anything! My tortoises all have very different personalities and it is important to get to know what and how your little guy/gal works before you overly handle them but when my gals were little I put my hand in thier enclosure and waited for them to come to me and they do very quickly start to respond to your voice! But my best advice for loving tortoises is to cuddle and be with them as much as possible. Others may disagree with me but that's how mine are so very friendly

That is advice that I can completely follow lol. Once I obtain one I will be sure to move slow and allow them time to settle in and get to know me before I overwhelm him/her. I'll put in lots of effort and time and hopefully he/she will eventually feel right at home with me. If not than I'll just have to accept that is just who they are and respect that

GingerLove

5 Year Member
My tort used to hate being pet on the head. I didn't give up. Now she can tolerate it, and sometimes even enjoys it. :) It's not impossible to make a tort cuddly. ;) What species do you want now?

Marinated mamma

South east uk
That is advice that I can completely follow lol. Once I obtain one I will be sure to move slow and allow them time to settle in and get to know me before I overwhelm him/her. I'll put in lots of effort and time and hopefully he/she will eventually feel right at home with me. If not than I'll just have to accept that is just who they are and respect that
Yeah you'll get thier little quirks my Olivia is much more timid and not so much of a cuddled but she doesn't mind being on my lap especially if food is on the cards

MsCarter

My tort used to hate being pet on the head. I didn't give up. Now she can tolerate it, and sometimes even enjoys it. :) It's not impossible to make a tort cuddly. ;) What species do you want now?

Lol a Russian is still a choice. Both are just as cute and seem to be the best two options for me. From the advice I've received here and the very little I've managed to read it will be between one of these species. I think it will just come down to the hypercritical stuff. Such as differences in environmental preferences and such.

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Russians don't need it too humid, from my experience, so no misting or anything. Though they still require soaks. ;)