What type of tortoise should I get??

NightOwl

Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
I live in Tennessee and am considering getting a tortoise. I have a nice outside space (about 8x13) for a smaller tortoise, but I don't have much space inside. I've been looking at Russian and Hermanns, but there's so much conflicting info all over the internet, I can't really tell what type would be best. I would prefer to have two, but that's not super important. I kind of need something that can hibernate, but I've only ever had leopard tortoises before, so I don't really know how that all works. Unless there's a type of tortoise that can live through a TN winter without hybernating?
What type do you think would be best?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I live in Tennessee and am considering getting a tortoise. I have a nice outside space (about 8x13) for a smaller tortoise, but I don't have much space inside. I've been looking at Russian and Hermanns, but there's so much conflicting info all over the internet, I can't really tell what type would be best. I would prefer to have two, but that's not super important. I kind of need something that can hibernate, but I've only ever had leopard tortoises before, so I don't really know how that all works. Unless there's a type of tortoise that can live through a TN winter without hybernating?
What type do you think would be best?
Indoor space is a must if you don't have a species that hibernates. Since you don't have space, I'd suggest a hibernating species. Hermanni are great and will do well in your humidity. Most of the greeks should be fine too. Russians can survive, but wouldn't be my first choice in your humid climate.

Torts should never be kept in pairs. Not any species and not any age. Groups can work, but not pairs. If you only want two, then have two separate enclosure for them.

Here is the care info with an introduction to outdoor housing and hibernation:

A redfoot would be great for the warmer months of the year, but it would need a large indoor enclosure for the winter months.

NightOwl

Tennessee
Indoor space is a must if you don't have a species that hibernates. Since you don't have space, I'd suggest a hibernating species. Hermanni are great and will do well in your humidity. Most of the greeks should be fine too. Russians can survive, but wouldn't be my first choice in your humid climate.

Torts should never be kept in pairs. Not any species and not any age. Groups can work, but not pairs. If you only want two, then have two separate enclosure for them.

Here is the care info with an introduction to outdoor housing and hibernation:

A redfoot would be great for the warmer months of the year, but it would need a large indoor enclosure for the winter months.
I've seen people saying "groups is better than pairs" all over. How many counts as a group, and what sex?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've seen people saying "groups is better than pairs" all over. How many counts as a group, and what sex?
A group would be three or more. Sexes don't matter so much for juveniles, but for adults, with most species, one male to several females.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Ditto on what Tom said for the species, Hermanns and Greeks.
Keep in mind that tortoises can't be sexed when young, so if you got hatchlings, you will not know the sexes for some time.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How big/how old do Hermanns/Greeks need to be before you can put them out side?
They can go outside right when they hatch in favorable weather, in a safe enclosure, and for limited amounts of time. I'd let those two species get to at least around 4 inches before letting them live outside full time with a temperature controlled shelter.