What to do if my tort has diarrhea?

Ella’s Gigi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Black Forest, Colorado
My little guy poops in his morning bath nearly everyday. Yesterday is was very messy and loose. He also did it like 3 times. He normally has the same size and texture with the only difference being sometimes they float and most times they don’t.

He’s been eating Endive, Romaine, dandelion leaves and Mazuri.

I’m just wondering if I should start worrying? He’s soaking right now and I will see what he produces.

Thank you,

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You need to add more fiber to the diet. Try to find some edible weeds to feed him. I don't think Hermanni eat much grass, but you can cut a small handful of clean grass then using scissors, cut it up into very tiny pieces and add it to his food, mixing it all in so he can't pick around it.

Ella’s Gigi

5 Year Member
Black Forest, Colorado
I’m in Colorado where grass is a rarity. Is there something else I can feed him?
His poop seemed a bit better today but it was still a bit messy.

Bee62

Germany
I’m in Colorado where grass is a rarity. Is there something else I can feed him?
His poop seemed a bit better today but it was still a bit messy.
Try if your tort likes Belgian Endive. It is high in nutrients and fiber too.
For more information what you can feed look here:
https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/
images

tortoisekev

UK
My tort LOVES chicory! Will dig through other food to find it hidden at the bottom! His poos are nice a firm :) unless it’s in the bath (occasionally) and it’s a white slightly liquid form.

New York
I heard it somewhere poop floats when it has a high fat content, and I understand that a lot of people food, even the right kind has so much nutritional value that it can make torts fat. Maybe that is true only for the long life species?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I heard it somewhere poop floats when it has a high fat content, and I understand that a lot of people food, even the right kind has so much nutritional value that it can make torts fat. Maybe that is true only for the long life species?

Given that most species of tortoise don’t eat fat I think we can disapply that from floating tort poop.

What goes in one end comes out the other!