What kind of tortoise is living in my yard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mewr428

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Thank you so much to everyone for your help and ideas. I have decided that I will use a shallow bin (that i just purchased) and i will burry it in the ground so that she can get in and out easily and fill it with water. i bought some turtle food and ill put some food in the bin. ill check and see if she lays any eggs. If nothing happens, i will take her to a pond. As of right now im going to let her stay, since i dont want to be the reason for any baby turtles dying.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Mewr428:

Welcome to the forum!!

Please don't take the turtle to a pond and release it. Try to find a turtle rescue or club and give it to them. It may be illegal to release turtles that aren't indigenous to Florida.

Mewr428

5 Year Member
Florida
My boyfriend was saying that he thought it looked like a cooter. You guys are right, they look alike.

EMYSEMSYS: I will take your advise, and look for a turtle rescue group. That is a good idea. I was a little scared of releasing her because I dont want her getting run over or anything if she wanders.

TERRYO: I would love to build a little pond for her and everything, but our yard isnt big enough. Its taken up by mostly a pool. And we dont have big yards in florida like you guys do up north, unfortunantly.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
It is a Trachemys s. script,

Poor thing, at least know he/she has a good home.:D

Mewr428

5 Year Member
Florida
aw, thank you =]

Okay, so I added a bin of water to her area and she seemed to like it. I also contacted a wildlife rescue and sent them pictures of her to see what I should do. So far she wont eat anything. I tried turtle food in a plastic can, broccoli, and some frozen fish cube that my brother uses for his fish in the aquarium. She wouldnt eat anything. I will attach some pictures of her in the bin. Its nothing special, its pretty small for her. I will also attach a picture of her in her "nest".

dy91mo.jpg

2a4z9ck.jpg

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
she wont eat if she is too cold. what is the weather like there?
You can try Minnows in the water.. or worms..

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
From the last two pictures it looks like it might be a Red Eared Slider...Trachemys scripta elegans

Mewr428

5 Year Member
Florida
Lately the weather has been in the 90's but today it was a little nicer. Still hot though. I think they all look the same, lol.

Alright guys, I talking to a turtle expert, its a red eared slider. She is not suppost to be in florida. UGH. So if I report her, she will be sent out of the state. So I guess Im going to try to build a pond or somthing in my yard. The woman said it was probably someones pet that they released.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
jeffbens0n said:
From the last two pictures it looks like it might be a Red Eared Slider...Trachemys scripta elegans
I agree in those photos you can clearly see the red.
She might be cold or she is a bit stressed about being in anew environment.

Mewr428

5 Year Member
Florida
Shes def not cold. Its still hot out for sure. All she does it lay in her hole that she dug. My friend has a pond, im going to ask if he wwants her because he has a red eared slider as well.

Mewr428

5 Year Member
Florida
Im going to call my local zoo tomorrow and see if they can give her a home. they would take good care of her. if they wont i will try Sea World or Animal Kingdom

M

Maggie Cummings

Zoo's won't take her and the Dept of Fish and Game will euthanize her, so the best thing for her if you can't find the original keeper is to keep her yourself. Or she will die. That's my experience from Calif and Oregon

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
maggie3fan said:
Zoo's won't take her and the Dept of Fish and Game will euthanize her, so the best thing for her if you can't find the original keeper is to keep her yourself. Or she will die. That's my experience from Calif and Oregon

USA rules are so weird, Sorry!
here in Spain they are a protected species and are introducing them back into the wild,

I am sure you can find her a good home,

Good luck

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
That is a female Red-Eared Slider (Trachemys scripta elegans), an invasive species in Florida and most of the rest of the world. Unfortunately, it is illegal to keep, sell or breed them (except for color morphs) in FL. It is also illegal to release them into the wild.

Not sure what to suggest if a rescue or zoo won't take her. Of course, if she 'moved' into your pond and can't escape, there is not much you can do about it...

At that age they are usually more vegetarian but may still be enticed with tidbits of meat: shrimp, crayfish, chicken, crickets, worms, etc.

Ultimately, she would need a much larger water feature with provisions for basking.

Welcome to the forum! Sorry the news is not any better...

Mewr428

5 Year Member
Florida
HLOGIC: thank you so much for the information! Now I know its a girl.

I called the zoo, they said no, just like you guys predicted. BUT i found a wildlife refuge that takes good care of the animals and they are non profit and work from their home. Hopefully I can take her there.

Mewr428

5 Year Member
Florida
Of course, right when I find someone to rescue her, i cant find her!!! She isnt in any of the holes she has dug. now im worried about her. =[

Mewr428

5 Year Member
Florida
I am trying my best =] I will keep you guys updated. Hopefully I will see her tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.