What kind of tortoise is living in my yard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mewr428

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Hi everyone,
My name is Shelby. I have a new "pet" tortoise. He/She popped up in my backyard a little over a week ago and hasnt left. He/She likes to dig holes in my mulch. I thought mabe it was a gopher but it doesnt look like the pictures on google. Can anyone tell me what kind of tortoise this is? Also, what does he/she eat? I put some broccoli and carrots out in the yard and a bowel of water. I went to the petstore and got some tortoise food but I dont know if I should be feeding him/her. Any ideas? My backyard is fenced in, so Im guessing he dug a hole under my fence. I will attach a picture of him/her.
dfzgh0.jpg
dfzgh0.jpg
[/img]

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
I am no turtle expert, but you don't have a tortoise. It is some kind of turtle.

Mewr428

5 Year Member
Florida
Oh okay, My friend told me it was a tortoise. At least I know its a turtle now. Thank you!

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
HI, ITS A SLIDER OF SOME SORT. MAYBE A YELLOW BELLIE? SOMEONE WILL BE AROUND TO SAY FOR SURE, BUT IT LOOKS LIKE A SLIDER. LINDY

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
It looks like a slider, an aquatic turtle. Where do you live? Does one of your neighbors have a pond? It needs a mostly aquatic freshwater environment.

Mewr428

5 Year Member
Florida
Okay, thank you for the information. You guys are fast at replying!

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Welcome to the forum, and it does look like a slider and like everyone before me I cant say what type. I would definitly see if any of your neighbors has a pond and is missing a turtle.

Mewr428

5 Year Member
Florida
I live in Florida, so there is water everywhere. I am accross the street from water. How is it still alive if Its been in my backyard for over a week? It hasnt left so it hasnt been in water. I have a pool but its inclosed so i know its not going into the pool. Mabe I should fill a bin with water?

Mewr428

5 Year Member
Florida
It already has holes dug and everything though. im scared that if i move it, it wont have any place to go. Also, alot of turtles around here are illegal to touch. not that thats going to stop me, lol but should i just buy a kiddy pool and stick it in my backyard or is that not good enough?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
This is the time of year that water turtles come out of their ponds looking for a place to nest. So maybe she is looking to lay eggs, if she is a female...I can't tell from the picture. Also she cannot eat out of the water as they have no saliva glands. She would need a land area and a very large pond to be happy.

Mewr428

5 Year Member
Florida
So should I move her now since she might be trying to lay eggs? Will she be okay if I move her to a new place that has water?

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I think you should leave her there for a while see if she does lay eggs maybe put a shallow bowl of water next to her

Mewr428

5 Year Member
Florida
okay. i have a few tupperware bowels out. im going to target now, so ill see if i can find a bin to fill with water. is hose water okay for them?

SILVERSTAR

5 Year Member
sacramento california
THATS STRANGE HOW SHE ENDED UP THERE,ALMOST LIKE SUMONE DUMPED IT,IF THERS NO WATER SOURCE NEAR YOU THEN ID GUESS THAT IT NEEDS WATER A POOL WOULD DO FOR THE TIME BEING OR JUS A LARGER AQUARIUM TIL U FIGURE OUT WUT REALLY NEEDS TO BE DONE SORRY I DONT KNO MUCH MAYBE SUMONE ELSE CAN HELP DONT JUS LET IT GO THO UNLESS U FIND A POND.

OR ANOTHER WATER SOURCE.

Mewr428

5 Year Member
Florida
It is as if someone had it since it was a baby and then it got to big and they let it go. (we have a lot of the little little ones at petstores around here)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
That is not a young turtle. If you have no ponds near where you live, then I would think that someone has a pond and she escaped. Maybe you could put some flyers around asking if someone lost her. It would be a shame to put her in a small tub, if she is used to having a pond to live in. If no one claims her, why don't you make a pond with some land area for her to roam around, and swim if she wants to.

TebowHammer

5 Year Member
Georgia
Hi there!

It looks to me like it could be either a yellow-bellied slider or a peninsula cooter (both turtles). It's definitely not a youngin'. Gonna be a few years old. I've got to juvenile Peninsulas that are about a year old each and they're only about 2 or 3 inches across.

That one's definitely larger.

Status
Not open for further replies.