New African Sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

REXANNismyprettygirl

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Hi Everyone!

I have newly aquired a Sulcata Tortoise whom I affectionately call Rex. Rex was left in the backyard of a foreclosure home in our neighborhood. He found is way out and into my yard and is now the King of the yard! :) I absolutely ADORE 'him' (not 100% sure on sex honestly) and am soooo eager to connect with other owners to further my knowledge. I have spent hours researching him but believe the best advice is going to come from other owners.

Rex is 17 inches across his back and has what I would guess to be mild pyramiding from pictures I have seen. His weight is guessed at about 30 pounds but hasnt been confirmed by a vet. Right now he is eating dark lettuce (not romaine or iceberg) and shredded carrots sprinkled with calcium powder. He has also had banana and apple but refuses to eat the orchard grass and tortoise food from the petstore.

I look forward to interacting with each of you!! :)

REXismyhandsomeboy

Attachments

• Rex.JPG
    Rex.JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 117

J. Ellis

5 Year Member
Texas
Welcome to the forum! TFO is a great place to be. The people here are amazingly friendly and know a ton about tortoises! If you take a picture of the underside of your tortoise I'm sure we could all help you determine whether or not "he" is a he! Or perhaps someone with a little more Sulcata expertise than I can tell whether or not his head/legs appear more feminine than masculine.

In any event, WELCOME!

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
He's very lucky to have walked into your yard :). It sounds like you will be great for him.

He is very handsome.

S

Scooter

Welcome to the forum. Rex is one good looking tortoise! As far as food you can also try Mazuri, squash, and opuntia cactus (the pad and fruit). Here is a great site that list plants that are edible for sulcatas www.africantortoise.com

Do you have anything set up yet for the winter? I'm not sure where you are located so not sure what your winters are like.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Welcome to the forum!

I can't believe that people that leave pets behind. I can't imagine abandoning ANY animal, let alone one of my beloved tortoises! ;) Just this past week they had to break into a house in our neighborhood to get two dogs out that had been left there, and a couple months ago we adopted a little tortoiseshell kitty that had been abandoned when her family moved and left her behind. She was a house cat, and they just threw her outside and left :( That's okay, she gets good food and vet care and all the toys she could want now, and will be getting spayed very soon :)

Kudos to you for taking Rex in and giving him a good home with someone willing to research his care!

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
Thank you for the rescue of your Rex. I agree with Josh, we'd like pictures of the underside of your tort.. to be sure you have a boy. Females are few and far between, but your tort has the look RV had at that size.. (it's in the eyes and demeanor . . .

Where in AZ are you? I have cactus pads I can share with you for planting. Rex will love them when you harvest pads, and the berries (when they eventually flower) will be a treat as well.

teri

REXANNismyprettygirl

5 Year Member
Arizona
Scooter said:
Welcome to the forum. Rex is one good looking tortoise! As far as food you can also try Mazuri, squash, and opuntia cactus (the pad and fruit). Here is a great site that list plants that are edible for sulcatas www.africantortoise.com

Do you have anything set up yet for the winter? I'm not sure where you are located so not sure what your winters are like.

We will be building him a 'burrow' this week. It will be made with two layers of bricks and then a piece of plywood over the top and then fully covered in at least 8 inches of dirt. It will have a heat lamp wired into it also. We are in Southern Arizona and it is 88 degrees right now this evening but it has been known to get down to 40 later in the winter so I want to be certain my baby boy doesnt get chilly!! :D

kyryah said:
Welcome to the forum!

I can't believe that people that leave pets behind. I can't imagine abandoning ANY animal, let alone one of my beloved tortoises! ;) Just this past week they had to break into a house in our neighborhood to get two dogs out that had been left there, and a couple months ago we adopted a little tortoiseshell kitty that had been abandoned when her family moved and left her behind. She was a house cat, and they just threw her outside and left :( That's okay, she gets good food and vet care and all the toys she could want now, and will be getting spayed very soon :)

Kudos to you for taking Rex in and giving him a good home with someone willing to research his care!

I cant believe it either!! we had a similar situation with a "cat house"... the pound took the 4 dogs but said the cats had a right to roam free. They were all caught and rehomed by neighbors :D

sharkstar said:
Thank you for the rescue of your Rex. I agree with Josh, we'd like pictures of the underside of your tort.. to be sure you have a boy. Females are few and far between, but your tort has the look RV had at that size.. (it's in the eyes and demeanor . . .

Where in AZ are you? I have cactus pads I can share with you for planting. Rex will love them when you harvest pads, and the berries (when they eventually flower) will be a treat as well.

teri

So I tried to get a belly shot and he lunged his arms out in a swimming motion and scared me to death. He is quite heavy and I dont want to drop him. Is there a way I should turn him over safely?

We are out in Queen Creek almost to Florence. Wayyyyyyyyyy out here :)

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Don't pick him up, just roll him on over :) Side to side like. He was trying to ram you, that is their defensive motion when the want you to go away or stop what you are doing. Not so bad when they are 30lbs, but once they hit around 100... It can hurt.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Welcome to the forum, and congrats on the new cutie :) I am so happy that you found him :) Poor thing, people can be so cruel sometime.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
that is how I got my two big guys.. he had others.. came back for them but couldnt take the two big guys to his new home.
Your guys needs a large grazing area. that is the best food. limit the fruit to treats. If you put a large pile of hay and then top it off
with lettuce, he will get some of the hay when he eats and hopefully develope a liking to it. If not, he will at least get some when eating the lettuce.
Id say he/she looks pretty good. If he got too cold a few night with no shelter and wet, before you got him, he may need some baytril to help get rid of his 'cold'. if he is eating well
get the pill form from the Vet and Dont try to go injections. You can hide the pills in bananas or strwberries.

Kenny

5 Year Member
Tempe, Az
I have nothing constructive to add, I just wanted to applaud you on the rescue. Well done!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. Sounds like you'll do great with him/her.

Sweetness_bug

5 Year Member
MICHIGAN
Welcome to the forum! Congrats on REx..Hes beautiful! Ihave a 40 pound sulcata and love him to pieces. They have excellent personalities. He just has to get to know you lol. Well done on rescue! Everyone her is amazing and can help!

REXANNismyprettygirl

5 Year Member
Arizona
Marty333 said:
Welcome to the forum and I am sure you will learn many things here and what a gorgeous sulcata post some pictures of his belly and we can help sex him :D

Okay friends... here are the much anticipated belly photo's :)

We didnt flip him over afterall, just held him up.

So what do you think?..?..? boy or girl?

(oh and sorry about the dirty hiney... he will definately need a bath!! eek!)

Attachments

• belly1.JPG
    belly1.JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 65
  • belly2.JPG
    belly2.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 58

Marty333

10 Year Member!
Winter Springs, Florida A quaint little town near
well I think it might be a male do to the form of his gular which is the thing under his neck but I think the anal notch could go either way. It looks like it is starting to round but I may be mistaken hopefully egyptiandan will look at these picks! Also the concavity to his plastron definitely looks male so I definitely think he is a male! Anyway it is hard to come across female Sulcata's!

Status
Not open for further replies.