• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Weda737

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NC
My tortoise hates anything red. He used to eat a strawberry slice now and then but now he won't touch it. Will not touch any of the red lettuces in spring mix either. I'd have to say his favorite thing is clover, he likes the Zoomed tortoise diet more than mazuri too.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
TortoiseBoy1999 said:
Mine will devour romain lettuce in minutes! He won't eat his spinach though hmmm.... I also find he's afraid of the color Red. Anyone else's tortoise afraid of a certain color?
Weda737 said:
My tortoise hates anything red. He used to eat a strawberry slice now and then but now he won't touch it. Will not touch any of the red lettuces in spring mix either. I'd have to say his favorite thing is clover, he likes the Zoomed tortoise diet more than mazuri too.

That's interesting, as I've never had any species of tortoise that didn't go absolutely bonkers w/ hunger at the sight of ANYTHING red or bright orange. Had assumed that this was pretty much a universal tortoise thingie!

Can't think of any color that frightens or causes a negative reaction in any of the tortoises I've shared my life with, either.

Just goes to show that the more ya know, the more there is to know! :cool:

neuroticpreschoolteachers

5 Year Member
JoesMum said:
If your tort is one of the species that can't process sugars, eg Testudo (Greeks, Russians, etc) and Sulcata, then all sweet foods should be avoided.... Fruit, carrots, bell peppers and tomatoes are all sweet as are all melons.

He is a redfoot :)

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
neuroticpreschoolteachers said:
JoesMum said:
If your tort is one of the species that can't process sugars, eg Testudo (Greeks, Russians, etc) and Sulcata, then all sweet foods should be avoided.... Fruit, carrots, bell peppers and tomatoes are all sweet as are all melons.

He is a redfoot :)

They can eat fruits, but I'd offer it only once or twice a week...if you spoil 'em, they may ignore other foods offered.

2torts4me

5 Year Member
I have a very picky old man DT. he will ONLY eat off the ground(no plates or saucers for him) he will NOT touch greens or lettuces from the grocery store. He will pretty much ONLY eat grass and cactus pads. Anything else I offer is wasted, he typically wont even both to sniff it rather stomp right over it on his way to the grass :p

Status
Not open for further replies.