WHAT IS THIS??

Killerrookie

Hi,
It is like that but way smaller in size. You can barely make it out over the nose. Thanks
Not really. Look at my Red-foot you can see only one prefrontal scale that is on the nose. Your tortoise has TWO prefrontal scales on the front which makes it a Yellow-foot.

Kelly71

Location (City and/or State)
london ontario canada
Hi,
I was also wondering Sunny weighs 102 grams and his shell from back of neck to where tail is is 3 inches around. Does that weight seem good? Thanks

Killerrookie

Sounds good and normal to me. As long as you see him gaining weight every week and not losing it than he's fine.

wolfkat

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1433914212.439859.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1433914366.496698.jpg

here is what a redfoot prefrontal scale looks like. You have a yellowfoot. Viva (first one pictured and the almost all yellow one) is about 4.5 inches and 184 grams. Each tort is different and will grow at different rates but sunny seams to be a good weight for his size.

Kelly71

london ontario canada
Hi,
I think we have talked about this before? The one in the first pic has the 2 long ones like Sunny and the colour after what is that
tort? Thanks

wolfkat

Hi,
I think we have talked about this before? The one in the first pic has the 2 long ones like Sunny and the colour after what is that
tort? Thanks
Both of those are redfoots. In the picture you posted of sunny I honestly do not see a prefrontal scale. If you post a closer picture of sunny's head from above that would help but I still say you have a yellowfoot.

wolfkat

Also I was told when trying to figure out what viva was that yellowfoot's have small serrated edges to their shells (extremely small ones) but if you look at Sunny's shell towards the head there are the serrated edges. Viva and Footy's shells are completely smooth around their shell.

Turtlepete

South Florida
Probably a yellowfoot, still need a clearer overhead shot of the head though. Red's can often have the parallel prefrontal scales as well, so you have to look a bit more closely, on hatchlings especially.

Kelly71

london ontario canada
Hi,
Well tell me this then? lol Other then say those 2 long scales what is another way to tell if it is a Yellow? One other thing I want to know if it is alright? lol Sunnys front arms the other day I noticed looked popye ish? Bigger at the bottom thinner near the top near the shell? Thanks

Last edited:

wolfkat

Hi,
Well tell me this then? lol Other then say those 2 long scales what is another way to tell if it is a Yellow? One other thing I want to know if it is alright? lol Sunnys front arms the other day I noticed looked popye ish? Bigger at the bottom thinner near the top near the shell? Thanks
Sunny's legs are fine that is what their legs should look like.

Killerrookie

Other ways I can tell are when they are adults. If Sunny is a yellow foot male his anal scutes will be less wide than a male red foot. Male red foots have a more hour glass shape than a yellow foot.

Kelly71

london ontario canada
Hi All,
Sorry I was not able to get a good enough pic of the very small colour scale in-front11421588_10152796572266968_1042305379_n.jpg of the 2 long ones over Sunnys nose? lol
How does he look though anyways? Healthy? I did notice one of the long ones is peeling or he has a scratch? Thanks Maybe
when he get bigger and you can see that colour scale over the nose I will take another pic? lol

Kelly71

london ontario canada
Hi,
Sorry about the typing in the last one? lol Here is another see the little bit of the what ever it is on the long scale? Thankssore.jpg

Kelly71

london ontario canada
Hi All,
Another pic of Sunny but you cant see that coloured scale over his nose but you can see some of
what his neck skin looks like and those bubble swirly marks on the shell? Does he look good? ThanksIMG_0039.JPG