WHAT IS THIS??

Killerrookie

My Red Foot has it also.... I don't think it's something to worry about really.

Kelly71

Location (City and/or State)
london ontario canada
Hi,
Thanks yes I dont think it is a bad thing I hope? Lets hope someone knows what it is? How long has your guy had his for?

Killerrookie

Hi,
Thanks yes I dont think it is a bad thing I hope? Lets hope someone knows what it is? How long has your guy had his for?
I've noticed it for about a couple months now. Here let me go grab him and show you.

Kelly71

london ontario canada
Hi,
Thanks, Yes that is so weird? Your guy looks like it has it more on the bottom of the shell? What is it? lol My guy has it more on the top of the shell? I thought at first it was bc I was using tap water but, now I have been using distilled water for bathing for a long time I would think if that is what it was it would have been gone by now? Your guy just got them one day? That is what happened to mine?

wolfkat

The white lines forming in between each scute (I'm assuming those are the bubble lines you are referring to?) are growth lines! They will change to a darker color in a short time!

Kelly71

london ontario canada
Hi All,
I am not talking about lines? It is the things that look like bubbles they are like a yellow ish colour? You can see in the pic the the bubble like things all over the shell? In the middle of the flat part of the shell parts? The swirly lines? Thanks11419722_10152784619911968_649414870_n.jpg

immayo

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
Like I said previously, they are just a sign of good hydration in your tortoise. Usually they are more prominent on lighter tortoises.

Example:
20150603_192058.jpg

Kelly71

london ontario canada
Hi Whitney,
Thanks so much. I worry about him all the time. lol When I first got it he did not have them? So it is not new growth but showing he is hydrated good? And one more thing great pic by the way. lol Is this a pic of a female tort? I think Sunnys tail is longer and thin? Thanks again!

Turtlepete

South Florida
Never heard them attributed to "hydration"..? Typically they are recognized as a sign of growth. It always pops up in the areola and plastron of tortoises during periods of growth. I usually notice it around a year in red foots, when growth takes off.

Killerrookie

Never heard them attributed to "hydration"..? Typically they are recognized as a sign of growth. It always pops up in the areola and plastron of tortoises during periods of growth. I usually notice it around a year in red foots, when growth takes off.
I've just noticed it in Luie my sulcata as well.

Kelly71

london ontario canada
Hi All,
Thanks all. So what is it really new growth or hydration? lol Does anyone know for sure what it is? Thanks It does go away?