what do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

helenab

5 Year Member
View attachment 9969Hi everyone, Mike and I went out yesterday shopping for preparation of a new Leopard tort. Along the way we stopped at a pet store and seen this ferret cage, it is huge for a baby tort. I think it would be great to wheel outside for sun. The incloser will keep preditors out! It has a 6.5 inch deep plastic pan. I believe that is deep enough for his bottom soil and plants for him to nibble on. It is tubular steel stand. It is 47"Lx 22"D x 37"H I think I will keep him/her in the house till next summer. (of course going out each day) So I really want everyones opinion about this. Thanks

Attachments

• cage.jpg
    cage.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 62
Last edited by a moderator:

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southeast Arizona
I think you would save a lot of money buying a rubbermaid tote and they come in a lot of sizes. I guess if the wheels are important than maybe it won't work for you also you would have to find a way to cover the top for safety. I just think those ferret cages are ussually overpriced. You could cut the center of the top out of the rubbermaid and add screen or chicken wire. Just a thought. I like to save money and thought I would offer my 2 cents :)

helenab

5 Year Member
Thanks for the thought, thats why i am asking. I also like the looks for the inside of the house, but the biggest thing for me is the wheeling it outside and the protection. We did buy a long rubber made tote so we could start growing some clover for him/her.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When people bring me their turtles and tortoises because they can't keep them anymore, they usually also bring me everything associated with their care of the animal.

One baby sulcata came with a guinea pig cage. It was exactly like the one you've pictured except for the stand. I really like that cage. I use it frequently for babies outside. The plastic bottom is quite deep and with a bit of substrate the baby still can't see up over the edge. The wire top keeps the baby safe from birds and cats (or whatever). I think its a great outdoor cage for an indoor baby tortoise.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I haven't used on myself, but they do look like the would be good (for a short time). I agree they do give you a cleaner, nicer look then a tote would. So if your not having money as an issue, then I say, go for it! :D :tort:

helenab

5 Year Member
I do think it would be easier and "prettier". It wont be a forever home but for a year it will work I think. We have put money aside to to this, had to stop the drugs and drinking but.... so just kidding guys, lol

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I really don't see anything wrong with it, but I would imagine a Rubbermaid or similar container would be cheaper.

Stephanie

5 Year Member
Southern California
:eek:! I have an old one in the garage! You're my hero! I didn't even think of this!

*runs off to clean and bleach* <- even though it's already clean...because, well, it has been in the garage...:p

The rubbermaid is a great alternative if you don't have one though (which is why I was off to go buy one today).

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Yea I Would Recommend Either A Rubbermaid Tot, Or A kiddy pool or Even A Simple Bookcase Or Shelf As An Enclosure :)

helenab

5 Year Member
Stephanie said:
:eek:! I have an old one in the garage! You're my hero! I didn't even think of this!

*runs off to clean and bleach* <- even though it's already clean...because, well, it has been in the garage...:p

The rubbermaid is a great alternative if you don't have one though (which is why I was off to go buy one today).

Well this post was worth it then, Glad I could help. Let me know how it goes okay?

Status
Not open for further replies.