What do you love about your Hermanns?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterOogway

5 Year Member
I am trying to learn more about the Hermann Tortoise. So what do you love about these tortoises & is there any good books you recommend?

cherylim

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Leyland, UK
I love everything about Emrys. :)

Including adorable little moments like this morning...

vxkp6f.png

No books to recommend, though. Everything I've needed has always been right here online.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I love to go out and feed mine. They hear me and emerge from all their little hiding spots and "run" as fast as they can to get the goods. Nothing gets in their way - they just bowl over it. I also love watching my boys stomping around their enclosure like studs - they know they are handsome guys!

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
They are beautiful, have a ton of personality, and are curious about everything. What's not to love?

MasterOogway

5 Year Member
kathyth said:
There is nothing I don't love about mine!

Beautiful tortoise!

kimber_lee_314 said:
I love to go out and feed mine. They hear me and emerge from all their little hiding spots and "run" as fast as they can to get the goods. Nothing gets in their way - they just bowl over it. I also love watching my boys stomping around their enclosure like studs - they know they are handsome guys!

They sound so fun.

MasterOogway

5 Year Member
Edna said:
They are beautiful, have a ton of personality, and are curious about everything. What's not to love?

That is what makes me want one.I keep reading they are hardy & full os personality :D

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
I love their personality! And how active they usually are :) My Dante keeps me entertained for hours. I never thought I could sit and watch a tortoise so much!

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Pretty much everything about them.

71d92068-6ae4-4eed-a745-fa0f84f3686c

Watermelon time...

313d2fb8-d843-4b88-a3ee-a8afe3c9960f

Marion Red Stick-and-cactus chow-down...

64b4d223-27a9-4048-8ebb-00d095751acd

Sunny/warm winter day, so dining al fresco...

d9130271-6dec-4328-80c6-c0ec6814a4a3

A-chillin' on a summer afternoon...​

laura2885

5 Year Member
I love mine!! She is called Harriet and is 3-4yrs old! I got her in June from an aunt who couldn't care for her anymore and have used this forum to learn to care for her better ( she was living in a tiny viv with wood chip substrate and not much else!!) it's amazing to see their personalities change as they get used to their surroundings and my kids love her!!!

image-2449281922.png

image-2792899090.png

MasterOogway

5 Year Member
I love all the pictures! That's what I seem to hear over and over about the Hermanns they have lots of personality. I live it thanks for sharing :)

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
They're overall hardiness, activity level and adaptability to a variety of different environments and climates. They can sucessfully be kept outdoors just about anywhere in the continental U.S. as long as a few minor needs are taken into consideration. This is especially true of Easterns in northern climates of the U.S. Dalmatians and Westerns can be sucessfully kept in the northern half of the country but are slightly less cold hardy than the Eastern subspecies. But in general they all do well in captivity.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I am fascinated that Elsa buries herself COMPLETELY in her substrate: no sign of her! Then in the mornings, a little head pokes out of the dirt as she contemplates getting up for breakfast. CUTE!!! I snap pictures with my cell phone and forward them to a friend to play "Spot the Tortoise!"

MasterOogway

5 Year Member
Moozilion said:
I am fascinated that Elsa buries herself COMPLETELY in her substrate: no sign of her! Then in the mornings, a little head pokes out of the dirt as she contemplates getting up for breakfast. CUTE!!! I snap pictures with my cell phone and forward them to a friend to play "Spot the Tortoise!"

Awww that sounds so cute. I would love to see pictures.

GBtortoises said:
They're overall hardiness, activity level and adaptability to a variety of different environments and climates. They can sucessfully be kept outdoors just about anywhere in the continental U.S. as long as a few minor needs are taken into consideration. This is especially true of Easterns in northern climates of the U.S. Dalmatians and Westerns can be sucessfully kept in the northern half of the country but are slightly less cold hardy than the Eastern subspecies. But in general they all do well in captivity.

That is another reason I am interested in the Hermanns. I really need to research more on keeping them outdoors. I am in the northern climate.

robopeen

5 Year Member
SF Bay Area
I've only had my baby for four days now but he/she is amazing! Ellington so curious and it's so fun to feed him/her and he/she has such a great appetite. I love scratching his/her neck and he/she loves it too. It's just been fantastic so far.

MasterOogway

5 Year Member
robopeen said:
I've only had my baby for four days now but he/she is amazing! Ellington so curious and it's so fun to feed him/her and he/she has such a great appetite. I love scratching his/her neck and he/she loves it too. It's just been fantastic so far.

Congrats on your new baby Hermann!

robopeen

5 Year Member
SF Bay Area
MasterOogway said:
robopeen said:

Congrats on your new baby Hermann!

Thanks! If you're thinking about getting one I would certainly encourage you to do so. :]

Status
Not open for further replies.