hibernation help

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bradley fielden

hello i am 17 and looking after my first hermanns tort, love her to bits haha, i havent had a single problem but im starting to get worried about hibernation, i have a book which says they dont need to be hibernated but i dont really trust books as a book has no experience, i have heard it is very risky to hibernate them so what should i do?

also can anybody suggest any books and teach me about them please thanks.

this website is so helpfull btw haha :cool: :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Bradley:

I don't keep Hermann's and know nothing about them. But I DO know that if you are hesitant to allow your tortoise to hibernate, then you don't have to do it.

Just set him up in an indoor habitat. You'll need to keep his light on for the length of a summer time day...12 to 14 hours, and don't let the night time temp fall below 65f.

I have two desert tortoise and each has an abscess on her nose that I can't clear up. I don't allow them to hibernate. Because it has been three winters, they are now used to not hibernating, but that first winter I had a heck of a time keeping them up. They really wanted to stop eating and go to sleep. But if you work at it, it can be done.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Montreal, QC, Canada
Hello Bradley
I have 2 Hermanns and I do not let them Hibernate. Can you tell us a little about your little one's enclosure please :)
I am not too sure if you want info about hibernation or just Hermann's care in general so here is some info about the general.
here is a helpful link
http://tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Hermann-s-Tortoise-Care-Sheet
Here is a good list of what to feed to your Hermann
http://tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Foo...orts-DT-Marginated-Greeks-Russians-Sullys-etc
If you have any questions feel free to ask :)

B

bradley fielden

hello. well i live in england so my tort lives mainly indoors in a vivarium, she roams round the garden when ever its nice enough too and in the green house sometimes depending on the temp, is this a good idea?

its a small vivarium but i am looking at getting a bigger one, she is small at the moment but im scared incase she isnt getting 'enough' room, it stays at good temperature at about 25 in the cold side and 28-30 in the warm end, any tips on tortoise care in england are welcome,

also yes i would like to learn as much about tortoise care and tortoises in general so anything thats helpfull is welcome...

thanks, if u want specific info then just ask :)

Status
Not open for further replies.