Humidity Levels again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nanni

5 Year Member
Now I am confused.

After learning in several post that I read and books that I checked out on Hermann (well Russian anyway, since there are not that many books on Hermann, but I am told, I can go for the instructions for Russians too?) before we got our little Mr. Bubbles I assumend that Hermanns don't need a lot of Humidity and are not supposed to sit in wet substrate, which is the cause that everybody seems to recommend a Tortoise table instead of a closed terrarium or other closed up enclosures.

I also read that they - to make up for that dry surroundings - need to be soaked every other day the latest and not to long at a time because of shell rot.

Now I had to learn the hard way, that this above said things only count for adult tortoises... and that hatchlings need more water. Even - like in a post by a fellow Hermann Hatchling Owner - a closed enclosure would be the only way to get the problem with humid enclosure solved.

My Mr. Bubbles is about 7 Months old. So far he is doing ok, I soak him at least every other day, these days I soak him every day for about 20 minutes in luke warm water. And he seems to enjoy it, actuallly seems to even ask for it sometimes ;). But only for a while and then he def. wants back out and on his dry bark stuff.

I spray his substrate (bark and coco coir) with water and his humidity levels are in good times about 30 and in most times about 17, due to the tortoise table and me being not able to close it up (because of lighting and such.
I do not want to wet the whole substrate completely, because of the shell rot and all those things that I read, that it would not be good.

So my questions are (hope somebody read till here... ;)):
How long does it take for a Hermann to get to the point where this humidity necessity changes? Is it the age of adult Hermanns, that don't need that much Humidity anymore? So I do keep mr. Bubbles rather in a smaller enclosure with closed up so the humidity levels are better, and move him in the big enclosure (open tortoise table), when he is an adult and about 2 years old?

Or did I get all this informations wrong and I have to rethink the whole instructions how to keep a healthy tortoise.

Because I thought about setting up the tortoise table in the basement. It is way more humid down there and the levels should be easier to even out that way? But its without real sunslight and very quiet most of the time.

I would appreciate clear instructions to that. And advice, because after my friend lost his little russian hatchling to dehydration, I am worried that I might loose my little Mr. Bubbles (about 3 inch) now too,

Thank you so much and sorry for the long text.

kjr153

5 Year Member
I know that a Sulcata and a Hermann require different needs but I do know with Sulcata's humidity levels are crucial when they are babies. When they're older you can lower the humidity levels. I fought with humidity as well, so finally I just went to Petsmart and bought a fogger. That works great. It keeps the humidity about 80%-85%. I'm sorry I do not know the exact answer for you. I hope someone will know! Babies do dehydrate quick so just make sure you keep him hydrated. Humidity, soaks and sprays!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Since you aren't getting direct answers on this from people who are very experienced with raising your species, I would PM some people that you feel are qualified to help you.

I don't have a lot of experience with this species, but I can tell you that they are not prone to shell rot at all. Also, keeping the underlayers of substrate damp, should still allow the top layer to be relatively dry. Finally, ALL species can benefit from a humid hide box. This is pretty easy to make and pop in there and it gives your little one an additional microclimate choice.

nanni

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Since you aren't getting direct answers on this from people who are very experienced with raising your species, I would PM some people that you feel are qualified to help you.

I don't have a lot of experience with this species, but I can tell you that they are not prone to shell rot at all. Also, keeping the underlayers of substrate damp, should still allow the top layer to be relatively dry. Finally, ALL species can benefit from a humid hide box. This is pretty easy to make and pop in there and it gives your little one an additional microclimate choice.

Thank you Tom, that is a great idea. For now I will do the little humid hide box, that will work for sure till I get more informations. And you are right, I will try to pm now. Normally I do not pm without any invite, but in this case I guess I have to be bold :cool:, because I really am worried sick. :(

Have a good day!
N

kjr153 said:
I know that a Sulcata and a Hermann require different needs but I do know with Sulcata's humidity levels are crucial when they are babies. When they're older you can lower the humidity levels. I fought with humidity as well, so finally I just went to Petsmart and bought a fogger. That works great. It keeps the humidity about 80%-85%. I'm sorry I do not know the exact answer for you. I hope someone will know! Babies do dehydrate quick so just make sure you keep him hydrated. Humidity, soaks and sprays!
Thanks so much for the idea with the fogger. I do have a humidifier here, maybe I can use that for now to help out a bit. Eventually Michigan Air gets very humid (boy can my hair tell a story bout that :)), but till then, I really need help for Mr. Bubbles I am afraid.
Have a great day!
N.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Don't be afraid to PM other members. We are all here because we LOVE talking tortoises. :D

I think most people enjoy the opportunity to help someone make their tortoises life a little better. I'm a great big loud mouth about it, but most of the people here on the forum that have lots of experience are much more subtle. Maybe "tactful" would be the word. Many of them are really glad to help when someone asks, but don't want to seem too "pushy".

nanni

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Don't be afraid to PM other members. We are all here because we LOVE talking tortoises. :D

I think most people enjoy the opportunity to help someone make their tortoises life a little better. I'm a great big loud mouth about it, but most of the people here on the forum that have lots of experience are much more subtle. Maybe "tactful" would be the word. Many of them are really glad to help when someone asks, but don't want to seem too "pushy".

Thanks again, Tom, I will try to keep that in mind :D
And hopefully post eventually a pic from my little bit Hermann, when he is all grown up and walking through his outdoor enclosure sometime :).
Nanni

Andrea M

5 Year Member
Hi, if you do find out any further information please share, I spent several hours yesterday trying to read up on the same thing but there is very little information out there concerning hermanns and humidity.

Status
Not open for further replies.