We've lost one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyrtle

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arvada, Colorado
Yesterday I put both of the torts out in their outdoor enclosure. Last night when I went to bring them in, I could only find one.

I thought maybe the lost one dug himself down deep somewhere and he'd come out today when it got sunny. But no. I put food out hoping to draw him out again. But no.

I went out just now and turned dirt over in the whole enclosure and I still can't find him. I'm actually worried now.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Is he a baby or an adult? Russians are sometimes incredibly hard to find, especially hatchlings. I hope you find the little guy.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
They are incredibly good at burrowing. Check corners, etc., they can dig right into the corner under the actual enclosure edge.
If you think your enclosure is secure and they can't get under or over it, he is in there somewhere.
I have a fairly large enclosure. I often don't see one for a few days, and think 'that's it', and then there they are again.

Tyrtle

5 Year Member
Arvada, Colorado
He's an adult, about 5-6" head to tail.
Thanks lynnedit. I will keep searching for him inside the enclosure. If he did bury himself, there was no evidence of any dirt disrupted. But I'll keep looking and hoping. I'm also going to scour the entire yard and ask my neighbors to keep their eyes out in case he somehow did get out. It's hard to believe he could get out, but I suppose it's possible.

I didn't see anyone in the yard that day, definitely no critters.

My poor kid is beside himself.

Tyrtle

5 Year Member
Arvada, Colorado
ascott,

Temps are very hot during the day, mid-90s. Nights get down to about 60.

I am really hoping he did just bury himself and he'll show up soon.

leeving

5 Year Member
Broomfield, CO
I used to have this problem with my box turtles when I was a teenager. I would let them loose in my dads garden and they were always burrowing under something. I would use our family dog to find them. He would come in and sniff them out every time. Got a dog with a good nose? I would bring my bloodhound over but if I didn't think he would chew on them a little to much. Good luck.
RD->

Tyrtle

5 Year Member
Arvada, Colorado
Haha, leeving. No, I have no dog although that does sound like a decent idea. The neighbor has two dogs, but I doubt they would be much help. He was in an enclosure when he went missing. So he is either way down in the dirt past where I have tried digging, he got out, or someone/something somehow took him. While it still seems more logical that he's in there somewhere, I'm still not sure.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Temps are very hot during the day, mid-90s. Nights get down to about 60.

I am really hoping he did just bury himself and he'll show up soon.

Perfect conditions to burrow. Also, remember that they can burrow down relatively fast and if the earth is prime they can be well below 8 inches and further down....so? I would not feel dispair just yet :D

Tyrtle

5 Year Member
Arvada, Colorado
Thanks, ascott. Eight inches is definitely further down than I looked. I dug to about 4" all around the enclosure. Will he come out in a few days for sun or food?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Will he come out in a few days for sun or food?

Sure he may, the trick is being there when he does....lol. When you offer food, do you do it in the same spot each day? Is the water source in the same place each day? Have you observed his few favorite basking spots? Have you observed his walking path for munching? If yes, then these would be great areas to keep an eye out for him....

Tyrtle

5 Year Member
Arvada, Colorado
ascott,
The enclosure isn't that big. It has a water dish in the center that I've never seen either of them use. His favorite spot is actually one of the hides. I actually never see them bask. For the most part, they eat, then hide either in one of the hides or under a plant. I have noted that they completely demolished one of the hostas. Otherwise, I give them piles of plants from the yard when I put them out in the morning. I always bring them in at night.

I am watering the enclosure now and I'll put out some flowers to see if that draws him out. I'm not feeling very hopeful right now. :-(

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Hoping the best for you and your tort!
I had a small female tort dig down about 12". Within a day. It was a miracle that I found her.
If she was healthy, she is avoiding the heat and will do quite well for several weeks or more, if needed.

Fingers crossed!

Tyrtle

5 Year Member
Arvada, Colorado
Lynnedit,
Still no sign of him. I dug out the huge Swiss Chard from the enclosure hoping he might be under there. Nope.

I've dug around and disrupted the first 4" of the entire box. Still nothing. I can't imagine him digging down 12". But as you point out, it is conceivable. I'll keep looking. I just wish he'd come out!

I've become paranoid about putting out the other one for fear something may happen to him too.

CactusVinnie

10 Year Member!
Bucharest, Romania z6
Tyrtle,

How about theft possibilities? Or predators- raccoons, foxes, birds?
If not these, I bet your tortoise is avoiding the heat for now. They alway do that in late summer. How fit he was? Indoor or outdoor tortoise?
You should consider not finding him for now, but maybe in next April- I heared many stories about such escapees. If in good health, a Horsfield can easily take a Colorado winter. It is dry like back home.
Your garden soil is heavy or easy diggable? You better not search and disturb, and step only on solid patches that cannot be the opening of a tunnel- you can close them with dirt and making it more difficult to find the tortoise.
Also, do not water, if you can- you also can close the tunnel opening doing so, and dry grass makes hides more conspicuous.

Good luck!

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Is the enclosure covered? Russians are surprisingly good at climbing. If he got out, he's likely hiding in a covered, shady nook somewhere. Check under bushes, behind trashcans, and under any piles of wood or other clutter in the area.

I hope he's okay.

Tyrtle said:
Lynnedit,
Still no sign of him. I dug out the huge Swiss Chard from the enclosure hoping he might be under there. Nope.

I've dug around and disrupted the first 4" of the entire box. Still nothing. I can't imagine him digging down 12". But as you point out, it is conceivable. I'll keep looking. I just wish he'd come out!

I've become paranoid about putting out the other one for fear something may happen to him too.

They've been known to dig much deeper than 12", especially when preparing to hibernate. Has the weather began to cool down in your area?

Status
Not open for further replies.