Water

Status
Not open for further replies.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Of course they are still stuck in the stone ages. Our torts in CAPTIVITY needs water available 24/7. They don't have the choice to wonder about and go find water when they choose, we have taken that away from them, so we need to give it 24/7. As for humidity, there is a certain amount each species need. As Tom has pointed out in his research and experience, hatchlings burrow down under the substrate in the wild, where it is humid. Your best bet would to stick to the info you find on this forum. They have already done so much of our home work for us. I no by experience, that most of the info out there is wrong. That's the info I found and listening to my breeder and my tort is pyramided. I finally found TFO and all the great info that not only seems obviously right, but works. Since then I listen and look to no one other then the experienced, knowledgeable members of TFO.

Radiated

5 Year Member
Ok, thanks. I was really confused and shocked by what I read.

I went to a few other sources and researched the biological behavior of this species specifically. What I concluded was that the Radiated tortoise keeps its urine in for a week or so because it 1. Cannot always find water 2. Stores the water in the bladder along with necessary minerals and vitamins. So basically if it urinates too much it wont be able to keep the necessary things it needs. The breeder in switzerland has done research about it and talked about it on his website. Should I only provide water once/twice a week?

burger

10 Year Member!
I think Wellington is right,when i got my two Indian stars 7 years ago listened to the smart *** who think they are always right, it made them sooo lumpy, I feel so sorry for them, and it won't happen to my radiated again!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There is a difference between what goes on in the wild and what goes on in captivity. There is also a difference between what a growing baby needs and what and adult needs. There is also a difference between what conditions a tortoise can survive and what conditions will make a tortoise thrive.

I don't know either of your species at all, but if it were my tortoise, it would have a water bowl in the enclosure all day, every day and I would soak the babies daily. If they were older and bigger, I'd skip an occasional day of soaking.

With leopards, sulcatas and CDTs, I have never seen any harm from daily soaks and a full time water bowl. In fact, just the opposite, I have seen nothing but super healthy tortoise that grow smooth and eat great.

Hope this helps you.

coastal

10 Year Member!
Florida
They love to drink water, offer access to it at all times. If the bowls are large and shallow enough you will find them sitting in the bowl quite often. I would not recommend this for newly hatched babies but after a few weeks you're good. They will learn where and how to access the water quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.