babcock humidity

mitchellr

5 Year Member
Hi all, im relatively new here, have been looking for guidance about tortoises and i found it the information you all share is very helpful.

Im confused regarding the humidity for pardalis. I know i've read here that people keep them in a 80% humidity but care sheets from many websites say that pardalis doesnt tolerate humidity at all and will suffer pneumonia in no time. So im confused, can you all please enlighten me from this controversy? Thanks!

pfara

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
RE: Pardalis humidity

Long story short: high humidity is fine as long as the temps are above 80 degrees at all times. Cold and damp conditions contribute to sick tortoises. High humidity is recommended because it ensures an aspect of proper hydration. Also, leopards are born into warm rainy seasons in the wild.. so I've read. I'm sure others will link Tom's threads soon enough. I'd do it but I'm on my dinky phone. Good luck!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

The old school was hot and dry. This results in severe pyramiding and dehydration and sometimes death.

Hot and humid, simulates nature and results in smooth natural looking growth. We here on this forum have made a hobby of regularly proving how well the hot and humid method works and there are 100s of smooth shelled healthy tortoises here to prove it.

pennyw

5 Year Member
north carolina

Here is a picture of my 5yr old male blonde rescue, he was raised the old way hot and dry also got attacked by a dog. His shell will never be smooth .

image.jpgHere is a picture of my 5yr old male blonde rescue, he was raised the old way hot and dry also got attacked by a dog. His shell will never be smooth .

Last edited by a moderator:

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas

The reality is, Captive care varies more than wild conditions. The goal in captive keeping is to keep them as natural as possible, When I read the title of this thread I naturally assumed South African since the "pardalis" was used in the nomenclature. So attached is the south African climate table. If at all p[possible knowing the locale or distribution of your animal is known that may differ from your care requirements.

http://www.south-africa.climatemps.com/

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal

Cool link Kelly. Cape Town, South Africa averages 77.7% humidity. Check. For me, mitchellr, hot and humid has resulted in healthy and happy ... hurray. I have 4 babies that are 6 months and 2 months. Just be sure ambient is no less that 80 degrees. For me, it has worked out awesome. Grateful for this evolution of methods. Sad that for many leopards it did not come soon enough and they have the lumpies or died. Consider it for yours. Lots of old stuff on the internet, it's so true. Glad you found this forum (best ever) so your baby can benefit! Here is a picture of a leopard tortoise enjoying native water. So cute, happy. : )

Attachments

• Leopard_tortoise_Graaff-reinet Nqweba dam.jpg
    Leopard_tortoise_Graaff-reinet Nqweba dam.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 41

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas

This can vary for sure given the large range that leopards inhabit. Eastern leopards get seasonal hot/dry humid spikes, North Eastern get very limited spikes in humidity. It may be difficult knowing the exact location or locale any animal has been originated from(especially young captive offspring) but a general high ambient humidity during the first 6+ months of a leopard is not harmful.

mitchellr

5 Year Member
Pardalis humidity

Thank you very much for the replies. Mine is babcocki actually, sorry for the confusing thread tittle. My leopard will arrive today and so to set high level of humidity i use coco coir as a substrate. Many of leopard i've seen here in my country have severe pyramiding, most people keep their torts with newspaper as substrate. I think it's horrible to see those smooth shells turn to pyramid like shape.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal

That is indeed the hard part. Very few folks in the US know for sure-for sure from where their leopards are really from. Mine are 75% GPP so I pretend that they are from somewhere in South Africa for 75% of their genetic makeup. But I have one baby that I know, despite the 75%, acts and grows more like that 25% GPB portion. Its sibling, polar opposite in attitude, in eating style and growing three times faster. It is all so fascinating to watch develop. But, with hot and humid, they are not lumpy, I will say.