water dish position help

Richabi

Location (City and/or State)
wales uk
Hey peeps I haven't seen my Russian using his water dish and it don't look as if he been in there is there a preference to where to position it i give him a soak every other day any ideas please

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I have also never seen my Russian use her water dish indoors, and only twice outdoors. In my opinion and it is somewhat controversial, as long as you are soaking every other day for at least 20 minutes and spritz the food with water I don't think your tortoise needs a water dish. Mine has one outdoors but not indoors. Russians do tends to walk the perimeter of their enclosure so you can position it right next to the wall and they will probably walk through it at least once, possibly. Don't put it in a corner however.

Richabi

wales uk
Ye he has regular soaks for 20 min I originally had his dish in the cooler side of his enclosure now it's in the warmer side thinking maybe to cold for him Ye when I mist the substrate I do his food aswell the humidity is at 70% and temperature at 30 is this sufficient

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
That sounds good. An adult Russian does fine at 50% humidity. He probably will like the water a little warmer.

Richabi

wales uk
What about a 1 yr tort is the humidity high enough for him or should I reduce it