Water Dish

Romeyrider

I have a 3 year old Sulcata (though he is a little on the small side) and he insists on keeping substrate in his water dish. I have tried multiple substrates and he is on sand right now. He lives in a stock tank. The water dish he has right now has a little ramp up and then a ramp down to the water (I am sure you guys have seen them around). Depending on the substrate he either would track it into the dish when he would go use it or he would throw substrate in it when he digs. What do you guys use as a water dish?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Clay saucers like the ones that go under flower pots. I would also get rid of the sand, or mix it with another substrate and be sure to feed on a dish so he doesn't ingest any sand as it can cause impaction. If you line the clay saucer with flat rocks around it, that will help to knock off some of the substrate before he gets in the dish.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I use the rocks around the water dish trick too. Depending upon the tortoise and the enclosure, you can also plant ground hugging plants or moss around the edges of the dish. No matter what you do, some substrate will get into the water and that's pretty much okay. Consider the fact that water found in nature also has things in it.

P.S. A lot of folks don't like the water dish your now using and consider it a death trap. I myself have a couple and have used them for years with no trouble. I wouldn't use it on a wee hatchling, but an older youngster like yours should not have an issue with righting themselves if they fall in. Do you have it buried into the substrate or are you leaving it just sitting on top?

I do wonder though... if your sulcata is already three years old, isn't he too big for that water dish? Nice thing with the plant saucers is they come in all sorts of sizes and depths to fit any need.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
You won't stop him from tracking it in, he is a tortoise he gets dirty. As for him throwing it in, well he is a tortoise it's what he does. :)
Most people use rocks or moss to cut down on the debris.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I use a clay saucer. Grippy, shallow soaking!
I have flat stones around mine too (what a theme!) and it helps with coir in the water, but it'll just happen! Torts walk around, and track it into the dish... I think they enjoy it :D;)
Yes, I would get rid of that sand! Sand can cause digestive issues in the long run, so it's really not a good choice :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Show us a pic of the tortoise and its tank. That will give us more idea of what you are dealing with.

Sounds like you've gotten some really bad advice in the past. Hope we can help.

Sand should never be used. Tortoises flip and drown in those bowls regularly. And it sounds like your tortoise has been kept too dry.