Bugs in water dish

Covey88

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
I got back from vacation and saw these in my redfoot water dish. Family came down and changed water every other day vs the normal every day. I have searched but can't seem to find pics that look the same. His enclosure is always 70-80% humidity and 70-83* temp. He also has a basking area. Please help I thinking they are harmless but want to know if I have to seek action.IMG_20200912_124212640.jpgIMG_20200912_124245177.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Those are springtails. This is pretty normal. They are harmless detrivores. They can't harm your tortoise, and in fact, they clean the enclosure and reduce possible pathogens. They come from the surrounding environment, and our warm damp tortoise enclosures make a perfect place for them to set up shop.

Covey88

5 Year Member
Ohio
Thank you, do I need to be concerned about them being in his water dish?

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Nope. Just wait till the pill bugs (rolli-pollis) wind up in the water bowl! they doit in like 3's in my Leopards, but they are so worth it with clean up they do.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you, do I need to be concerned about them being in his water dish?
When the springtails first show up they have a population explosion. They seem to be everywhere, including in the water dish. In a few days, they will reach a state of balance with the "waste" load of the enclosure, and while they are still there, they sort of disappear. Within about two weeks, if you do nothing, you won't see them in the water dish any more. At least that's how it always goes for me with a new enclosure... :)

I just change the water dish daily. I dump, rinse, wipe it out with my fingers, rinse again, replace it into the substrate, and finally, refill. The bugs are not a problem.

Covey88

5 Year Member
Ohio
Nope. Just wait till the pill bugs (rolli-pollis) wind up in the water bowl! they doit in like 3's in my Leopards, but they are so worth it with clean up they do.
Am a noob here, but how do they get in specially the rolli-pollis?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Am a noob here, but how do they get in specially the rolli-pollis?
People buy them (isopods) and add them on purpose. Its called "bio-active" substrate. They also pay money to get the springtails that you got for free! :)