Water dish...DIY

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
I made this water dish from some leftover slate I had. My western hermann, Gilbert, loves my design. It is shallow enough for him to climb around on safely because he is so small. He can bask on the flat part of the dish or soak in very shallow water. I stays in there all day, and the water evaporates out daily. IMG_20180930_131400.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Love it. However, the substrate, grass carpet, is not great. Your tort needs a more natural substrate. Orchid bark or coconut coir or plain dirt. Depending on its age, it also needs a higher humidity that you can't get with carpet. Please read the care sheet and make adjustments to go along with the great water dish.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Thanks the substrate is just by the water dish.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
LOL this thread is old (like me). I still use this slate ( no carpet) to feed Paxton on, works great. @OkAdiza
I like the slate water dish. Sapphire would probably use it if he had one. It's nice and flat for a lazy little Russian taking a break from his monkey escapades 🐢💩

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I like the slate water dish. Sapphire would probably use it if he had one. It's nice and flat for a lazy little Russian taking a break from his monkey escapades 🐢💩
LOL. He was so small and I was worried about him getting in and out of the water safely. So I used a Dremel and cut out the hole and cut the middle out. It's a 3" x 6" piece of slate. I did have to fill it up twice a day.