WATER CRYSTALS FOR HUMIDITY?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wellington

Well-Known Member
Moderator
10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Joined
Sep 6, 2011
Messages
40,473
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Is anyone using water crystals for humidity? They are the crystals that expand when water is added and they are used for crickets. Just wondering if they would work well for raising humidity? I am thinking about trying it unless others have tried and did not see useful. Just to put concerns at rest, I will not be doing it in a way my tort can get to them. Any opinions on this?
 

kimber_lee_314

Well-Known Member
10 Year Member!
Joined
Nov 19, 2008
Messages
2,629
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
How would you put them in the enclosure? (So the torts wouldn't try to eat them? That would be my concern ...)
 

Momof4

Well-Known Member
5 Year Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2011
Messages
9,755
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego
maybe attach a container of it high enough and close enough to the heating element? You maybe be onto something. I used to use those for my feeder roaches and there was a lot of humidity in their rubbermade. I guess it depends on your set up.
 

wellington

Well-Known Member
Moderator
10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Joined
Sep 6, 2011
Messages
40,473
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
All you would have to do so the tort can't get it is put them in a bowl that the tort, mine is little yet, can't tip over or crawl into. I am just not sure if it would work? The amount you would need to use probably would depend on the size, set-up etc of the enclosure, but would it help, seeing that it would need to be in a container with higher sides? Or would the container just hold the moister within itself? If no one has tried it, I may try myself. Will let everyone know how it works.
 

DesertGrandma

Well-Known Member
5 Year Member
Joined
Apr 30, 2011
Messages
2,131
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Are these the same ones used in soil to hold moisture for indoor plants? Sounds interesting!! Let us know how this works out.
 

Redstrike

Well-Known Member
5 Year Member
Joined
Aug 9, 2011
Messages
2,709
Location (City and/or State)
New York
A Mason Jar or something similar could work well. pour in the crystals & water, attach and drill holes in the top, and let the hygrometer rise! If you need a greater evaporative surface area, a plastic sandwich container could work - they are relatively cheap and it's probably easier to puncture the lids of these as the Mason jars are metal...?

Let us know what you come up with and how it pans out for you.
 

wellington

Well-Known Member
Moderator
10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Joined
Sep 6, 2011
Messages
40,473
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
DesertGrandma said:
Are these the same ones used in soil to hold moisture for indoor plants? Sounds interesting!! Let us know how this works out.

Yes I believe so. I seen them on Carolina pet supply for getting water to crickets and the thought to use them for humidity for our torts hit me. I have used them in the past for flowers, I believe they are the same. Will keep posted when I get some.

Redstrike said:
A Mason Jar or something similar could work well. pour in the crystals & water, attach and drill holes in the top, and let the hygrometer rise! If you need a greater evaporative surface area, a plastic sandwich container could work - they are relatively cheap and it's probably easier to puncture the lids of these as the Mason jars are metal...?

Let us know what you come up with and how it pans out for you.

Do you think the container would need a lid? I was thinking just an open bucket or large bowl, with no lid. I haven't purchased any yet, will next week and try it. Will give updates on results.
 

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Joined
Jan 9, 2010
Messages
54,477
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
What advantage do the crystals have to just letting a bowl of water evaporate? Doesn't seem like it would do a whole lot in an open topped enclosure.
 

wellington

Well-Known Member
Moderator
10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Joined
Sep 6, 2011
Messages
40,473
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Tom said:
What advantage do the crystals have to just letting a bowl of water evaporate? Doesn't seem like it would do a whole lot in an open topped enclosure.



I believe the point of the crystals is that they hold moisture/water longer. They soak up the water and expand to more than twice their size. They then do not dry up as fast as just a bowl of water would? At least that is what I am hoping and that it then would hold the moisture/humidity longer. I am looking for something to help my small humidifier hold the humidity up better. Hoping this might help.
 

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Joined
Jan 23, 2008
Messages
89,044
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I don't know anything about them, but from your description, I would think it would be counter to what you want to achieve. You want moist air, right? If the moisture is being held in the crystals, then its not getting into the air?????? (I may be all wet)
 

wellington

Well-Known Member
Moderator
10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Joined
Sep 6, 2011
Messages
40,473
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
emysemys said:
I don't know anything about them, but from your description, I would think it would be counter to what you want to achieve. You want moist air, right? If the moisture is being held in the crystals, then its not getting into the air?????? (I may be all wet)

Hmmmm, or maybe I'm all wet! I might have to think this out a little more.
 

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
Moderator
10 Year Member!
Joined
Aug 15, 2008
Messages
19,752
Location (City and/or State)
CA
If you have the time and resources you could always run an experiment in a empty container, put some in and with some heat, measure the humidity levels, and see what happens, if it's workable I would use a mason jar with holes in it, so if the tortoise happens to tip it over they still can't get to the crystals.
 

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Joined
Jan 9, 2010
Messages
54,477
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I use those crystals for my roach colonies. They seem to me to allow evaporation at around the same rate as plain water. I use them to keep the tiny babies from drowning in open water. If in fact, they allow less evaporation (I've never tested it), then as Yvonne noted, it won't help you much I think.

Whether it works or not I love that you are thinking about how to make things better for your torts. Its nice to occasionally be reminded that I'm not the only tortoise nerd out there. :D
 

Madkins007

Well-Known Member
Moderator
10 Year Member!
Joined
Feb 15, 2008
Messages
5,393
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
You may want to try this instead- make a linen bag and sew some sphagnum moss in it. Soak it and hang it somewhere warm. Hanging sponges (especially natural ones) works as well.
 

wellington

Well-Known Member
Moderator
10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Joined
Sep 6, 2011
Messages
40,473
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I will try all ideas. I am trying to find something for nite time. My humidifier has to be filled to often, so won't last during the nite. However, do I really need higher humidity at night when the temps are lower?

Yes Tom, my husband and son think I am a tort nerd:p They think I am crazy talking and kissing on my leopard. My poor dog even gets jealous. But I am head over heels about him:D He is so darn cute. I only wish I had room for more, but then again, I wouldn't be able to give so much attention to Tatum.
Thanks everyone for the input. Any more ideas, slap them on. If I can try them I will.:D
 

Zamric

Well-Known Member
5 Year Member
Joined
Oct 29, 2011
Messages
3,290
Location (City and/or State)
The Crystal Unicorn
I dont see any reason you cant mix it into your substrate. Just make sure you have a layer of pure sustrate on top of your mixture. one of the uses for water crystals is mixing with plant soil BEFORE hydrating. it make for a moister rich soild that holds it moister in hot dry areas.
 

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Joined
Jan 9, 2010
Messages
54,477
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Barb, how cool is "cooler at night"? I wouldn't let it get too cool with a leopard with any humidity. Back in the old days, cooler nights were fine for leopards and sulcatas because we all kept them dry. Now that we are using moist substrates and humidifiers, those cooler temps could cause a respiratory infection. I have no idea what your situation is, but I have seen some people pick and choose different aspects of different care sheets, and this is one area where it could cause a problem. If someone (not necessarily you) were to take the humid portion from my care sheet and the night time temp drop of some one else's care sheet, it could lead to a problem.

Just trying to be helpful.

Oh and I keep my leopards humid and warm 24/7. Its around 80 degrees and 80% humidity all the time. Then they get a 100 degree basking spot for 12 hours a day. They also go out in the sun everyday for around 7 months a year, and weather permitting the rest.
 

wellington

Well-Known Member
Moderator
10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Joined
Sep 6, 2011
Messages
40,473
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Tom said:
Barb, how cool is "cooler at night"? I wouldn't let it get too cool with a leopard with any humidity. Back in the old days, cooler nights were fine for leopards and sulcatas because we all kept them dry. Now that we are using moist substrates and humidifiers, those cooler temps could cause a respiratory infection. I have no idea what your situation is, but I have seen some people pick and choose different aspects of different care sheets, and this is one area where it could cause a problem. If someone (not necessarily you) were to take the humid portion from my care sheet and the night time temp drop of some one else's care sheet, it could lead to a problem.

Just trying to be helpful.

Oh and I keep my leopards humid and warm 24/7. Its around 80 degrees and 80% humidity all the time. Then they get a 100 degree basking spot for 12 hours a day. They also go out in the sun everyday for around 7 months a year, and weather permitting the rest.

I am following your care sheet only. I went back and looked at it again just yesterday. My temps at night are 75-78, will bump it up a little. Trouble with my humidity, drops at night, reason for trying to find something else to use. Although it may also be my meter. The coir is damp but the humidifier will not run all night so humidity drops. However he seems very happy and the pyramidy that started from wrong advice when I got him is no longer. New growth smooth.:D
 

Zamric

Well-Known Member
5 Year Member
Joined
Oct 29, 2011
Messages
3,290
Location (City and/or State)
The Crystal Unicorn
If your substrate is staying moist... you might try a rope heater under the sustrate at night to increase the ground level humidity/warmth.
 

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Joined
Jan 9, 2010
Messages
54,477
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
78 is fine, 75 starts to get me a little concerned.

Can you cover the top at night to hold in more warmth and humidity? Yvonne has mentioned using aluminum foil for this. I have used all sort of stuff.

I'm always happy to hear that my care sheet has helped someone get good results. Thanks! :D
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
TortoiseSupply.com

New Posts

Top