Lots of Crystals found in urine of female star

starsky

5 Year Member
I adopted a female star who is "paralyzed" due to lack of nutrients and care from the previous owner (was give tomato for 7 years of her life), her health has been improving-shell are not so pyramid, still unable to stand but able to use her back legs to push herself around (have been doing water therapy to strengthen her legs). She is eating well now with commercial diets (zoomed, exo terra, mazuri, pretty pets, wheatgrass, hay etc) as there are limited plants in my country. My worry is her urine always have crystals, can see the shiny bits esp when the sun rays shines in. Am unsure if she is lack of hydration that causes it or ? I have tried to soak her as and when I can (at least once every 2 days), as her front head is unable to stretch out to touch the ground, so she is unable to drink water on her own, for food consumption, I have to handfeed her. Any one has any advice on this case what should I try or do to reduce the crystals? BTW she will lay eggs at least 3 times a year...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Crystals MIGHT mean that the tortoise has a urinary tract infection. But, because most crystals are uric acid, it also might mean nothing. Uric acid in tortoises is what we call urates. Just keep soaking the tortoise to keep it hydrated and it should be ok. I would soak daily for about 15 minutes.