Humidity issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

lMorphine

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New York
My little leopard tortoise is coming tomorrow and I just went out and bought a digital flukers temp and humidity reader. It was steady at 40% and then I added a whole lot of water to the substrate and it went to 70% but its not really remaining steady. However I have an analog humidity and its reading about 55%. Is there anything I can do to raise it?

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Can you post a picture of your enclosure? We will be able to give you better advise I'd we see what were working with. If its a tank, you can cover the top with plexiglass or foil to lock the heat and humidity in.

lMorphine

5 Year Member
New York
eb8xzd.jpg

This is it. Its a concrete mixer 36"x24". Substrate is coco fiber and red cypress. 100W basking bulb and a 60w night time light.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Ou could buy a piece of plexiglass to cover 75% or it. Or anything to act as a lid. Some keepers add sphagnum moss to put in their hides. You may want to invest in a humidifier or at least a hand held mister. A lid will definitely help the best tho to lock in any heat and humidity.

lMorphine

5 Year Member
New York
I have 3 misters and I have a humidifier but I didnt really want to use it but I guess I might have too

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The light needs to hang straight down, not on a slant. The water dish could be bigger. The coconut coir in the hide and all over is fine. My personal opinion, coconut coir is the best option. Spaghun moss can mold, I've had it happen to me and some torts will eat it. Cover 3/4 of the enclosure. Read Toms threads below in my post. They all apply to leopards.

lMorphine

5 Year Member
New York
Unfortunately it doesnt really hang straight down. Although the temps are at a decent range. Thats his food dish lol his water dish isnt in there ATM. Thanks for the threads =]

AndreaRosie

5 Year Member
Get a top. There are nice durable ones for cheap prices. Plus it help your little guy out. Before I had mine every time the AC turned on he would hide.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Worst possible enclosure for a baby leopard or sulcata. Wide footprint and low sides make it impossible to maintain heat or humidity in any normal home with heating and air conditioning. I highly recommend you get a closed chamber or at least a tank with tall sides and mostly cover the top. A leopard raised in an open topped enclosure like that under hot bulbs will almost certainly pyramid.

Sorry to bum you out, but think how bummed you'd be with a pyramided baby in a few months.

lMorphine

5 Year Member
New York
I originally bought a 40G breeder from work but after doing further research online, I was told to use the cement mixer. I still have the 40B. Although I did follow some of your threads Tom. Do you think if I cover a good portion of it, it would be better? I have the tank if worse comes to worse, but I prefer something lower. Thanks for the help. He arrives at 9AM =[

theelectraco

5 Year Member
The tank will be a lot easier to maintain heat and humidity and if it has a screen will make covering the top a lot easier. I would switch, it may be a hassle swapping but it will save you from bigger hassles trying to get the tray at the right temps and humidity

Steve_McQueen

5 Year Member
Go with the breeder and cover the top. You'll be able to set the dome light on top of the screen, too, so it'll point straight down.

lMorphine

5 Year Member
New York
Hmm. Well now I have a 100W bulb. Thatll prob get the tank to someodd 120 degrees.

Steve_McQueen

5 Year Member
You can use a household bulb temporarily, or permanently, if you're not using it for UVB as well.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
lMorphine said:
I originally bought a 40G breeder from work but after doing further research online, I was told to use the cement mixer. I still have the 40B. Although I did follow some of your threads Tom. Do you think if I cover a good portion of it, it would be better? I have the tank if worse comes to worse, but I prefer something lower. Thanks for the help. He arrives at 9AM =[

I know I'm a pain in the rear, but everyday I have to look at the effects of a tub like that. I sent some hatchlings to a friend who should know better and he raised them in a sweater box similar to that tub for about a year and a half. His set up was just like yours in the pic and he was in a very humid climate.

He eventually gave them back to me, and now I have to look at pyramids everyday. Just trying to save you from that fate or worse. An open tub like that will allow for lots of evaporative cooling. Cold and damp will almost certainly lead to a respiratory infection in a baby leopard. If you put more bulbs and CHEs over it to heat it up better, you will also dry it all out and then end up fighting dehydration and pyramiding due to the dryness.

Closed chambers work the best. Mostly covered tops on taller sided tanks or enclosures work second best.

P.S. I'm so glad you are not offended. I felt it needed to be said for the benefit of your incoming baby, but I still hate it when I make people upset.

lMorphine

5 Year Member
New York
Tom, don't worry about it. Id rather bluntly be told the correct way to do it, then to do it wrong.

On another note however, Do you think its alright if the leopard stays in there until tomorrow night? With the 100W bulb, the basking spot is 95 degrees but humidity is 30% so I definitely have to change it. Just wont have time tomorrow, I have work as soon as he arrives.

Oh and while your here to help, I plan on soaking him for approx 30 mins when he first arrives. Should I put food in the cage for him or let him go for a day or two?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Pyramiding happens with growth in overly dry conditions. He will not pyramid in one or two days. With daily soaks, he shouldn't dehydrate either. Add a humid hide box and you should be fine for even longer.

What concerns me more are the temps. Its 95 in the basking spot, but what about the rest of the enclosure, and what about night? Can't leave the light on all night, and it needs to stay 80 everywhere, day and night with humidity. This is very hard to do in an enclosure with those dimensions.

I would definitely put food out for him. Even if he decides he's too stressed to eat it, it won't hurt anything to sit there and look pretty. He might decide to have a nibble while you are at work.

lMorphine

5 Year Member
New York
Tom said:
Pyramiding happens with growth in overly dry conditions. He will not pyramid in one or two days. With daily soaks, he shouldn't dehydrate either. Add a humid hide box and you should be fine for even longer.

What concerns me more are the temps. Its 95 in the basking spot, but what about the rest of the enclosure, and what about night? Can't leave the light on all night, and it needs to stay 80 everywhere, day and night with humidity. This is very hard to do in an enclosure with those dimensions.

I would definitely put food out for him. Even if he decides he's too stressed to eat it, it won't hurt anything to sit there and look pretty. He might decide to have a nibble while you are at work.

Thanks. He'll only be in that cement mixer from 9am to 9pm. So 12 hours with slightly less heat. I will definitely get him in the new tank by tomorrow night and ill post up new pictures and get your opinions. Definitely gonna do this right.

Oh and another question. I'm putting plans together for a tortoise table, because I live in NY, its rather cold. Size isn't really a factor but obviously cant put a 30'x30' in my living room. Do you think an 8'x6' is good for an adult leopard? Bigger?

Steve_McQueen

5 Year Member
The general rule for a minimum size (read: unsuitable) enclosure is 8 shell lengths by 4 shell lengths.

AndreaRosie

5 Year Member
If you are putting this much concern into your baby I know you are going to be a great turtle parent!

Status
Not open for further replies.