Vic and Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cagscott

5 Year Member
I was bought a 3 year old tortoise (believed to be a boy) for my birthday. We have had him since 20th November and he is called Bob. He has settled in really well. He is quite adventurous and likes to have a wander about.

For xmas i was bought a 1 year old (not sure of the sex) who we have called Vic. He has been with us since yesterday and is in the same tortoise table as Bob. He seems to just sit in one corner with his head in his shell all the time. could it be that he is just adjusting to his new home or should i be worried. i haven't seen Vic eat much either. he has only wander about for about 5 minutes and then he just goes back to the corner of the tortoise table with his head tucked in.

Also Bob seems to be trying to dominate Vic, he keeps trying to climb on him and he backed him into the corner on one occasion too. should they be separated or will it be safe to keep them together?

Vic is alot smaller than Bob and i'm concerned Bob might stress him out.

Any feedback would be welcomed.

Many Thanks
Cagscott

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Hi Cagscott,
You really should seperate them, for now at least. All new tortoises should be quarantined before putting with an existing tortoise. This give a chance for the new tortoise to settle into your routine with the least stress possible. This also gives you a chance to find out if the new tortoise is sick. If it is, being alone will prevent it from being transmitted to the existing tortoise.
What kind of tortoises do you have?

Danny

Cagscott

5 Year Member
Hi Danny, thanks for your message. they are both horsefield tortoise and we bought them from the same pet shop (although bought at different times). when we bought them they were in a viv with other tortoise so would they still need to be quarantined even if they had been with others previously?

Vic (the one we got yesterday) doesn't seem to have eaten much in the last 24 hours - do you know whether this could be due to stress from moving to a new place or not? he has been a little bit more adventurous today and has been wandering around on our floor for quite a while.

Bob (the one we have had longer) will eat out of our hands and seems to be very confident around people. Vic just seems to want to hide all the time.

I am new tortoise owner so any advice or feedback you can give would be a great help to me - i would hate for anything to happen to them. (i've wanted to own tortoises for years)

Many thanks
Cagscott

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Cagscott:

You have a lot of reading to do. Being a first time tortoise owner and now having 2 tortoises, you really need to do your research. One of the best information sites for Russian tortoises is here:

http://www.russiantortoise.org/care_sheet.htm

It is always the BEST idea when adding a new tortoise to an existing habitat, to quarantine the new guy for at least 3 months; six months would be better. During that time you would take stool samples to the vet, a sample from each animal.

Your new tortoise might just be stressed out from the move, however, it might also be being bullied by the bigger tortoise. And if you have a male/female couple, the males are VERY aggressive breeders.

So, read the info at the link I showed you, and change your tortoises' diets, separate them and give them a couple weeks to settle in.

Keep us informed, and we'd love to see pictures of them.

and...

538679bm0q3divay.png

to the forum!!

Cagscott

5 Year Member
Hi Yvonne,

thanks for your advice. i have now separated them and they both have their own tortoise tables, lights etc. Vic (the smaller one) has now started eating and being more lively so i think you were right that he/she was stressed out from moving. i bet it didn't help that bob was pushing him about too.

i'm so relieved that they both seem to be doing well as i was worried sick that something was going to happen to either of them.

thanks for sending me that link too - i have read through it and have a better understanding now.

fingers crossed i will have many happy years with my 2. they are both so lovely.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You are so very welcome!!! Now we expect to see you post here more often and regale us with tortoise stories and pictures! We LOVE pictures.

Weloveourtortoise

5 Year Member
Gardner, MA
I just wanted to say Hi and welcome -- congrats on the new addition-- glad to hear vic is doing better since the seperation from bob.

sammi

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
Welcome =] Poor Vic! Being bullied by the big guy :p Glad to hear he is doing better =]

..And as Yvonne said, we LOVE pictures. Please post them =]

Cagscott

5 Year Member
I will definitely post some pictures - is it easy to upload them on to the site?

Vic definitely seems alot happier - he's having a good wander about and he's had a good feed. he's even been eating out of my hand so i think he's gaining confidence. I really am so relieved.

Bob is very greedy. As soon as i put his food down he marches straight over to it and eats it all. I have been putting a pile down for each of them that is roughly the same size (no bigger) than their bodies. Is this right as i read that it was ok for that amount as they tend to graze but there is a chance they will overfeed if they have too much food on offer. i also put calcium on their food.

I am really enjoying learning about them and i am so glad that they seem to be ok. It was Vic that i was most worried about as Bob settled in fine. Vic took a few days but like i say he seems to be far better now.

they are both so adorable - I'm very proud of them.

:))

Status
Not open for further replies.