Bob vs dog

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Maggie Cummings

I have a long time friend who has a Rat Terrier. They look just like Jack Russells. So my friend is an over the road truck driver so I don't get to see him very often. Once or twice a year is all. And it's probably been a year since the last time. So for once the sun is shining here and my friend shows up with Bandit his dog. With the sun shining I decide it's nice enuf to let Bob out. So Bandit and I go out to the shed and I go in and open the doggie door and I go back out. I sit on the cinder block wall to wait for Bob to come out. Bandit is in Bob's pen looking for a place to pee. I hear the strips that hang in the doggie door and I see Bandit looking at the door and getting his hackles raised. He starts growling and barking with his hackles raised. I don't think he's seen Bob in a couple of years and he ain't liken what he's looking at now. So Bob comes out the door and is walking down the ramp when he sees Bandit. Man, Bob stops... looks at the dog and freaks out! He raises up as tall as he can and flat out charges at the dog. He is totally pissed and going for the dog. Bandit runs over to Bob to sniff noses I think, but Bob gets close enough and launches himself at Bandit. And before I can react I have a dog/Sulcata fight. Bandit is trying to bite Bob and Bob is trying to ram Bandit.
Bob gets the dog pinned against the ground in a corner trapped and is smooching the dog into the ground and by now I have the dog's head trying to stop him from biting Bob. For what seems like an eternity I pull the dog one handed trying to keep him from biting Bob's face, and Bob is trying to smash the dog into the ground.
I don't think I have ever seen a mad tortoise, but Bob was mad and trying to hurt the dog. I wonder now why? Why did an easy going tort get so mad at the dog, a stranger.
It was quite an event. That tortoise was flat out mad and really fought with the dog. I sure was surprised. So was the dog.
I think now it was probably because Bandit was in Bob's pen. Bob didn't want a stranger in his pen. It has to be that simple. Bob was protecting his property...He could have really hurt the dog.
It was really something....

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
You're correct. Bob was chasing the intruder out of his area. Imagine what he would do to another male sulcata. In fact he was probably thinking, "I've never seen another sulcata besides Tony, but this one is really UGLY!"

Yvonne

BigBiscuit

5 Year Member
Iowa, U.S.
Bob sounds like a "bruiser."

I can just picture him with a pair of biker boots, and a tattoo on his bicep.

Evan

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
O boy Bob must have been really mad to attack the little bandit. I understand him, I would freak out if I were him and i was seeing a weird kind of tortoise without shell in front of my doorstep :). I am really glad they are both ok. I hope they will be able to be around each other again.
Thanks for sharing Maggie :)

M

Maggie Cummings

Bandit is a small quick dog so I am really surprised that Bob pinned him. I think it was a fluke that was enabled by Bob catching Bandit in the corner with no escape...
I believe Bob is a great intelligent animal, smarter than the average tortoise. And I think that is because I normally have spent a lot of time socializing him. This was a long slow winter and because of my health I didn't spend as much time with him like I would normally...I also think that it is very special to me that forum members are emailing me off list asking for a Bob update...That's just really nice...I think it's too bad that I won't get to spend most of his life with him, he is indeed unique!!!

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Temple City, Ca
Maggie, you are lucky no one accidentally turned on you. I am glad everyone came out ok. Maybe reintroduce them on neutral ground. You'll know if Bob just doesn't like Bandit.

Dawna

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Another "Bob" story to read to my 11 and 9 year old boys they love that. Alexander is camping right now with his Boy Scout group but I read it to Noah and we were both laughing (sorry I'm sure it wasn't funny at the time). We can both imagine Bob going after this dog. At least he's not intimadated. :p Candy

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Candy said:
Another "Bob" story to read to my 11 and 9 year old boys they love that. Alexander is camping right now with his Boy Scout group but I read it to Noah and we were both laughing (sorry I'm sure it wasn't funny at the time). We can both imagine Bob going after this dog. At least he's not intimadated. :p Candy

See Candy?? You "get it." Maggie doesn't post these stories for their "Oh my...poor Maggie!" value. She posts because she wants to entertain you. This was a funny story! and I was laughing while I was reading it. Because I can see Maggie with her painful almost useless right arm trying to separate Bob and Bandit before the poor dog got hurt. It was a comedy of errors (could have been tragic for Bandit), but it was FUNNY!!

Yvonne

aktech23

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
maybe bob would do the same thing to a burglar. guard tortoise!

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
Thanks for another great story Maggie! I just had to laugh as I read this and pictured it happening in my head. I'm sure it was a total surprise to all of you, so there had to be some shock at the time, then an all-out effort to save the poor dog!

Bob is truly unique, but in such a great way! :)

Please keep the stories coming!

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Maggie, sounds like Bob let Bandit know "No Peeing in my pen, you Ugly, tort" ;) :p
Thanks for sharing glad no one was seriously hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.