Ventilation for Vivarium

Figster45

Location (City and/or State)
Pittsburgh, PA
I am having a vivarium built for my Indian Star and I was wondering if I should request ventilation holes because I have been reading that not having any can cause a build up of bacteria and cause respiratory infections.

Also, is there a particular spot they should be placed to provide proper air flow? I saw a set up with 3 at the top left, top middle, and top right. Is this more ideal than one on each side panel?

Lastly, for PVC enclosures, does there need to be any type of protective sealant put on the inside or is that only for wood? Or even a pond liner or tarp on the bottom beneath the substrate?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I do put some ventilation holes in my enclosures, but I normally end up with them closed. I would have them put some in as long as there is an option for controlling how open they are. Usually on the top portion of the sides towards the back. With any type of doors on the enclosure, you are normally getting enough air flow around the doors and every day when you open up and change water/feed/bathe. SO unless this enclosure is being built with unusually sealed doors, it is plenty of air exchange there. Respiratory issues and bacteria buildup are old school thoughts in resistance to the "newer" ideas of closed chambers. It is not an issue.

You do not have to do anything to seal the PVC. That a great advantage to PVC. Depending upon how it is put together/assembled, you may need to caulk the joints with a pure silicone.

Figster45

Pittsburgh, PA
I do put some ventilation holes in my enclosures, but I normally end up with them closed. I would have them put some in as long as there is an option for controlling how open they are. Usually on the top portion of the sides towards the back. With any type of doors on the enclosure, you are normally getting enough air flow around the doors and every day when you open up and change water/feed/bathe. SO unless this enclosure is being built with unusually sealed doors, it is plenty of air exchange there. Respiratory issues and bacteria buildup are old school thoughts in resistance to the "newer" ideas of closed chambers. It is not an issue.

You do not have to do anything to seal the PVC. That a great advantage to PVC. Depending upon how it is put together/assembled, you may need to caulk the joints with a pure silicone.

Thanks for the info!
I know he is going to use PVC glue as well as screws so I might not need the caulking.