Outdoor enclosure question....ventilation?

leeshis0019

5 Year Member
So I've built an outdoor enclosure for the colder months. It dips into the 20's on average where I am during winter. Maybe low 40's in the fall. Sometimes it gets to right above zero (and possibly even negatives), but that lasts for about a day or two and that's uncommon.

Anyways, the enclosure is about 4' x 3'. The Sulcata tortoise is only about 20 pounds so not too big, but I hate him being inside because he's just miserable. The enclosure is insulated and I'll be heating it with some redundant radiators and a thermostat. I'm not too concerned with the heating because I can always put in more if necessary, but the enclosure is pretty well insulated regardless.

My question is about ventilation. There is one door (about a foot wide and 10 inches tall. There will be flaps, but there's no other ventilation. Should I be ventilating somehow? I have one hole for cords, but that's closed off with sealant. When I made it I realized that I didn't quite think about ventilation. I figured the door would be good enough and it won't ever be completely sealed. I'll put wood and a cinder-block in front of it so he can't leave at night, but there will always be an opening.

Is ventilation really necessary?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If the door isn't solid and tight around all sides it will get air exchange. Not sure a 4x3 is big enough for a long cold winter though. That doesn't seem to be enough room on days he can't go outside and to have room to walk around, a water dish and food dish. They do have to get exercise or they could become lame. If you don't have too many of those really cold days and if you don't get a lot of snow or any and his enclosure area gets lots of sun, you might be okay for this year.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I am down river from Wash DC. Our winter weather is somewhat like yours. I keep sulcatas outside all year and have for several years . I adopted a very deformed male, he was flat and square 17 x 19 inches. I built him a 3x4 house with a removable top. It was heated using a 1 ft x 3 ft stanfield heat mat on the floor on the right side towards the back, he had room of unheated floor if he wanted to get off the heat.on the left wall I used a 12 x24 heated cerimjc tile that I made using FLEXWATT .This was standing vertical against the left wall towards the front of the house. Threr were 3 sets of door flaps, one set outside the door one inside the door and then a 3rd set supported by a curtain rod from one side wall to the other wall about a foot in from the front door, just off the 3 foot heating pad I never put food or water in any of my houses, they like to come out to eat , graze and just putter around even in very cold weather and snow..I had no vents built in, just the open door flaps

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I built an insulated box in the back of a greenhouse for my Sully. He stays inside a lot during my winters, but will take short walks outside. We shoveled his path last year. I soak him for an hour or more at least once a week. He exercises in his soaks too, so that helps.