Ventilation?

ISU

Location (City and/or State)
South Korea
Hello. I am getting a lot of information from this forum. Thank you very much.

I have an enclosure of 900*450*400(mm) size.

I read that ventilation is an important factor at the forum in South Korea.

There are two straight vents behind the enclosure. And I always open the enclosure glass door about 2~3cm.(both sides)

I think my tort eats well and is healthy. After reading Tom's article, I have adjusted the temperature and humidity.(warm,cool side n basking spot)

I wonder if my ventilation system is correct now. The humidity in my room is not very high and the room temperature is about 24 degrees.

And I think she only stays on the warm side. I've never seen you sleep on the cool side. (I have a leg injury now, so I spend a lot of time staying home and always watching her.)

I'm worried about this.

Thank u for reading and plz give me a good answer!

Attachments

• 20200305_194411.jpg
    20200305_194411.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 18
  • 20200305_194427.jpg
    20200305_194427.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 17
  • 20200305_194446.jpg
    20200305_194446.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
What are the heat and humidity readings in the enclosure. As far a ventilation just opening the door to add food, water etc offers an air exchange otherwise your enclosure is not airtight so air will leak in and out. You only need to open the doors or vents if the humidity gets too high.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello. I am getting a lot of information from this forum. Thank you very much.

I have an enclosure of 900*450*400(mm) size.

I read that ventilation is an important factor at the forum in South Korea.

There are two straight vents behind the enclosure. And I always open the enclosure glass door about 2~3cm.(both sides)

I think my tort eats well and is healthy. After reading Tom's article, I have adjusted the temperature and humidity.(warm,cool side n basking spot)

I wonder if my ventilation system is correct now. The humidity in my room is not very high and the room temperature is about 24 degrees.

And I think she only stays on the warm side. I've never seen you sleep on the cool side. (I have a leg injury now, so I spend a lot of time staying home and always watching her.)

I'm worried about this.

Thank u for reading and plz give me a good answer!
Leoparad tortoise, right?

Let your hygrometer be your guide. You want humidity to be 80-90% during the day, and it can spike up too 99% at night when temps drop down to 80F. If it is drier than this, you need less ventilation. If it it always at 99% even in the heat of the day, then you should add a little more ventilation, or let the substrate dry out a little more.

LoraMoser

USA, CA, LA
Chances are that the new 50 pint DH you bought has dual stacked coils and a single fan - the moist air is sucked through the cooler evaporator coil then immediately pulled through the warm condenser coil then the dehumidified warmer air is exhausted back into the room. Older units had separated coils and 2 individual fans and may have been possible to vent but even then the DH would slowly lower your room temperatures below what is needed or comfortable.

Recently I just pulled apart a 5000 btu window AC to see what was needed to split the coils to make a remote DH kinda like a mini-split heat pump. Even though I have all the equipment and HVAC tools to do it I decided to buy a second 30-pint dehumidifier for $100 instead.

One option you may have since it seems like you have quite a bit of ductwork is to make a bypass damper that can vent some of the DH to the outside and some of it to the inside. Basically, a wye connector pipe with a damper installed in the exhaust leg, when 100% open it should give a 50/50 blend and when closed it should send 100% back into the room. those dampers are common and cheap too. you could also try to force-feed the DH exhaust directly into the AC or as close to it as reasonable.

In the business, those dampers/vents are called enthalpy economizers which automatically adjusts the venting based on inside/outside conditions via remote sensors.