Varied Diet

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaketheskate

5 Year Member
Ok so my Russian has only eaten lettuce and spring mix his while life... Since I've been reading that his diet should be varied, I bought some new foods (collards,dandelions) but he won't eat them! At the first time, he runs eagerly for them and eats them all, but then the next day he isn't interested at all! What should I do and is spring mix and lettuce sufficient diet?

Btw is also use calcium and multivitamin
Powders as supplements...

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Be strong. Your tort is behaving like a child that won't eat dinner because it wants candy. You have to be Mom here... treats are treats and you only get them if you have eaten your greens... and not every day!

A healthy tort can go a couple of weeks without eating, but not drinking. If your tort is making a stand, go back to basics:

Soak your tort first thing in the morning before he has warmed up properly
Put the healthy food on a flat slate or tile in the enclosure.
Put your tort back in the enclosure and walk away and leave him to it for the day. Don't worry if the food wilts, that's fine.
He will get hungry and then he will eat, but you have to be strong! Normally they hold out for two or three days, some go longer!

Once normal eating has resumed, you can stop the daily soaks and life should be back to normal... but don't be in a hurry to reintroduce the food that he's stuck on!

jaketheskate

5 Year Member
Ok I'll be a good dad... Thx for ur help!
But I'm still curious if romaine and red lettuce+spring mix is fine alone? Also I have some zoomed tortoise (not grassland, just says tort) commercial food that i feed on occasion... He'll always eat it!...

And also where should u buy mazuri?
Thinking of trying it...

Status
Not open for further replies.