bok choy
squash or pumpkin
parsley
cilantro
mazuri (once a week)
grassland tortoise (once a week)
tnt with probiotics on their food twice a week
miner-all on their feed 3 times a week
strawberry or apple (only a tiny bit, once or twice a month)

keep in mind this is their winter diet - i'm in missouri, so it's too cold this winter for them to be outdoors right now. they are both growing good and fast. but, i have a question. because i keep a variety of food on hand, there is always something that ends up spoiling before i get it used up. the 3 mo obviously doesn't eat much.

so, my question is - is it bad to feed one thing until it's used up and then switch to something else? for instance - can i feed all of the bundle of collard greens up in a week and then switch to something different the next week?

at present, i just mix the greens in with their spring mix every few days, but at that rate a lot of it ends up going bad before it's all gone. the spring mix is the only thing that ends up getting all used up, but even then it's just starting to spoil a little.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
so, my question is - is it bad to feed one thing until it's used up and then switch to something else? for instance - can i feed all of the bundle of collard greens up in a week and then switch to something different the next week?
No it's not bad. That's exactly the way to do it :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Unless your rich and very wasteful, the way your doing it is fine. When you look at a tortoise's diet, you need to look at the overall picture, not the daily one. Now if you were feeding the same exact single item for a month at a time, then there would be worry. In the wild they may also be eating the same food item for days in a row, because the plants they eat would often be seasonal with different plants coming into their prime at different times of the year.

marcy4hope

10 Year Member!
Missouri
thanks! i appreciate the input. i've had enough health issues with my sully and don't want to add more to it if i can help it, so wanted to make sure first.

Status
Not open for further replies.