Picky eater???

Status
Not open for further replies.

samiburke

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
I've tried carrots and apples...but whatever I put in with his lettuce diet of spring mix, all he eats is the lettuce. He won't eat anything else. I dnt want to waste more food but how do I get him to eat new things???

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Did you try adding some mazuri? Sprinkle some on everything. I have picky eaaters too. This helps.

samiburke

5 Year Member
Florida
Not to sound stupid but wht is mazuri and where can I get some???

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You need to chop everything up super fine and just mix in a little bit of the new foods. Gradually, over time, you can add more and more of the new stuff.

BTW, carrot should not be fed very often, and apple never. They are not fruit eaters. Weeds and grass are the best things for them, and those are free.

Mazuri is a pelleted diet. You soak it and put it on a plate for them. Some people like to mix it with greens. It is a nutritionally complete food, kind of like kibble for your dog, but its formulated for tortoises. They tend to like it, so mixing it with new foods is often a good way to introduce it. You can buy 25 pound bags at a local feed store or you can order smaller quantities from sellers here on TFO.

Here is a good diet sheet for sulcatas:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-52677.html

Status
Not open for further replies.