UVB QUESTION

Teesh

okay I wanted to ask if the tropical UVB light mini zoomed is good for my baby greek hatchling. I dont now of its a coil nul but im quiet nervis sincère im get tong him This weekend
Do you know how long tortoises CAN go workout UVB ??
Think you

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
5.0 is fine for a Greek. Just make sure it's a tube bulb. Those work the best. If you can take him outside for a few hours a day you will be just fine. Tortoise when young benefit from the most exposure when young. Especially fast growing species like Greeks, hermanni, and Marginata.

Teesh

5.0 is fine for a Greek. Just make sure it's a tube bulb. Those work the best. If you can take him outside for a few hours a day you will be just fine. Tortoise when young benefit from the most exposure when young. Especially fast growing species like Greeks, hermanni, and Marginata.

Well its not à tube its a lamp with two semi rectangular things??

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
That sounds like a coil bulb. I have no expertise with those. However the general concensus here on the forum I other that have used them have linked serious ocular issues with them. I'd recommend to not use that type.

Teesh

Ok are there any good UVB bulbs that arent tubes??

Teesh

That sounds like a coil bulb. I have no expertise with those. However the general concensus here on the forum I other that have used them have linked serious ocular issues with them. I'd recommend to not use that type.
My message

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You can use a mercury vapor bulb for heat light and UV all in one., Or one of the various long tube types. The 5.0 produces very little UV and its basically a waste of time and money. The 10.0 tubes are better but still need to be mounted no more than 12" away from the tortoise. The tube type HO bulbs produce much more UV and need to be used farther away form the tortoise, around 20" or so.

Tortoises can go months while hibernating with no UV. Mine go for 2-3 weeks at a time with no UV over winter, but they get sunshine the rest of the time.

Teesh

You can use a mercury vapor bulb for heat light and UV all in one., Or one of the various long tube types. The 5.0 produces very little UV and its basically a waste of time and money. The 10.0 tubes are better but still need to be mounted no more than 12" away from the tortoise. The tube type HO bulbs produce much more UV and need to be used farther away form the tortoise, around 20" or so.

Tortoises can go months while hibernating with no UV. Mine go for 2-3 weeks at a time with no UV over winter, but they get sunshine the rest of the time.
Think you very MUCH!!!!

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Yep. As long as he's going outside in natural bright sunlight, a few hours of UVB a week is plenty.