closed chamber basking heat bulb

Ali311

Location (City and/or State)
Southbridge ma
hi, i have a sulcata hatchling and am setting up a closed chamber. I have a flourescent uvb light, but im confused about what to use for the basking area heat. i also heard mercury vapor bulbs are too strong for hatchlings. I have a zilla mini halogen bulb for now. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thank you.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I do not like the halogens. They are even hotter than MVB and produce mostly IR-A which desiccates the shell quickly. Because they run so hot, they will overheat a good closed enclosure quickly.

I use a regular incandescent FLOOD bulb. You can also use a regular incadescent bulb. Wattage in the 35 - 65 watt range is normally all you need. Adjust height to get the basking area heat where you want it.

Reactions: Tom

Ali311

Southbridge ma
I do not like the halogens. They are even hotter than MVB and produce mostly IR-A which desiccates the shell quickly. Because they run so hot, they will overheat a good closed enclosure quickly.

I use a regular incandescent FLOOD bulb. You can also use a regular incadescent bulb. Wattage in the 35 - 65 watt range is normally all you need. Adjust height to get the basking area heat where you want it.
ok. thank you very much.