More tube UVB ???s

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
Everyone chime in here, but from what I have seen the brightness of a 2.0, 5.0 or 10.0 is relatively similar, isn't it? Maybe slightly different color temps, but similar intensity. So all we are talking about here is UV levels. What I am relating here is that UV levels out of these bulbs that have been on the market for all these years are surprisingly low. I would not know this had I not purchased a couple of UV meters and played with them. I suspect that someone who cares enough to research and pay for UV bulbs over their box turtle is also providing more and better comprehensive care for their box turtle over all than the "average" keeper. In which case it would not surprise me that someone awesome like Lisa or Kelly is successful at maintaining a healthy box turtle. I just don't think your box turtles are healthy and thriving because of the 5.0 bulb you put over them.

I hope this is all coming across the right way...
It is. I understand what you are saying and I agree. If they are being raised correctly overall their growth will be beautiful due to great care and not necessarily that 5.0 or 10.0 UVB bulb. Which is kind of what I was getting at when I said warm temps and high humidity IMO are most important with baby boxies. Give them the right conditions with a large enough enclosure, damp soil, warmth and humidity and that makes a huge impact in how they grow.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It is. I understand what you are saying and I agree. If they are being raised correctly overall their growth will be beautiful due to great care and not necessarily that 5.0 or 10.0 UVB bulb. Which is kind of what I was getting at when I said warm temps and high humidity IMO are most important with baby boxies. Give them the right conditions with a large enough enclosure, damp soil, warmth and humidity and that makes a huge impact in how they grow.

Glad we are on the same page. :)

TurtleBug

10 Year Member!
Have you put a UV meter under a 2.0 or 5.0? Even from 10" away they make hardly any UV. Certainly not enough to be of any benefit for the animals under them. Even the 10.0 makes very little. Midday summer sun gives me a UV index rating of about 6.8-6.9. That same meter 10" under a new 10.0 bulb gives me a reading of 1.1. Under a 5.0 I get a reading of 0.5-0.6. That is not enough to do anything. These bulbs are not what we thought they were.

Zoo Med sells the Solarmeter 6.5 UV index meter under their own label with a different name, and it comes with a handy reference table using the Ferguson zones (based on readings taken by Dr Ferguson around basking animals in the wild). This usage guide was coauthored by Dr Frances Baines, a well respected reptile UV researcher from UK. According to this guide, box turtles fall in the zone 2 with a recommended UV index from 0.7 to 1.0.

The guide also says about zone 2: "If you’re unsure what the appropriate zone is for a given species, Zone 2 can be used as a safe and effective level that will prevent the onset of metabolic bone disease or nutritional secondary hyperparathyroidism."

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1416248792.904590.jpg

I found this HO zoomed 5.0 UVB bulb in sale at petsmart for $30. Hard to beat that so I got it.

Tyanna

Wisconsin
So for a 10.0 how close are you saying it should be for enough UVB? I might've missed it reading through..

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Just throwing this out there. I took readings in my box turtle enclosure with my 6.5 m, 48 inch high output 5.0 bulb and fixture straight down the middle of the enclosure which is about 36 inches wide. 15 inches below the bulb that UVI was 2.4 directly below on down .2 at the edge. I have checked regular 5.0 and 10.0 bulbs at less than 10 inches and got readings at .01 or .03. Zila ranked the lowest. I am really surprised how little UV these bulbs put out overall.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Zoo Med sells the Solarmeter 6.5 UV index meter under their own label with a different name, and it comes with a handy reference table using the Ferguson zones (based on readings taken by Dr Ferguson around basking animals in the wild). This usage guide was coauthored by Dr Frances Baines, a well respected reptile UV researcher from UK. According to this guide, box turtles fall in the zone 2 with a recommended UV index from 0.7 to 1.0.

The guide also says about zone 2: "If you’re unsure what the appropriate zone is for a given species, Zone 2 can be used as a safe and effective level that will prevent the onset of metabolic bone disease or nutritional secondary hyperparathyroidism."

I know and love Frances. She is a member here and I've had a few conversations with her. Lovely lady on top of being super smart and knowledgeable. So if a box turtle needs a reading of .7 to 1.0, and my new 10.0 bulbs were a 1.1 at 10", then they should be just right at 11 or 12". A 5.0 bulb would be too low on the UV index even at 10" from the tortoise.

Tyanna

Wisconsin
I know and love Frances. She is a member here and I've had a few conversations with her. Lovely lady on top of being super smart and knowledgeable. So if a box turtle needs a reading of .7 to 1.0, and my new 10.0 bulbs were a 1.1 at 10", then they should be just right at 11 or 12". A 5.0 bulb would be too low on the UV index even at 10" from the tortoise.

So is .7 to 1.0 same for tortoises?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Just throwing this out there. I took readings in my box turtle enclosure with my 6.5 m, 48 inch high output 5.0 bulb and fixture straight down the middle of the enclosure which is about 36 inches wide. 15 inches below the bulb that UVI was 2.4 directly below on down .2 at the edge. I have checked regular 5.0 and 10.0 bulbs at less than 10 inches and got readings at .01 or .03. Zila ranked the lowest. I am really surprised how little UV these bulbs put out overall.

Sounds like our experiences have been similar. Thanks for posting your numbers. Just goes to show that the numbers can be different in different enclosures.

Does your 5.0 HO have a reflector hood?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So is .7 to 1.0 same for tortoises?

Depends on species. For some of the forest species, that level might be adequate. For tortoises that bask and come from more open areas, I would say quite a bit higher would be needed.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Sounds like our experiences have been similar. Thanks for posting your numbers. Just goes to show that the numbers can be different in different enclosures.

Does your 5.0 HO have a reflector hood?
Yes, it is a high output hood as well.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
I found a high output hood at Home Depot for $25. It comes with a worthless grow lite in it but it beats the $65 Zoo Med wants for there's.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
I added Exo Terra Repti-Glo 10.0 in place of the light it came with.

Okay. If your bulb is a high output (HO) like mine you will need a high output fixture. Also keep in mind that you HAVE to match the watts of the bulb to the watts of the fixture. Take a look at your bulb, if it's 13watts you need to make sure the fixture is also 13 watts. That is why I was having such a hard time. My bulb is 24" and also an odd wattage of 24 watts.

Tyanna

Wisconsin
Okay. If your bulb is a high output (HO) like mine you will need a high output fixture. Also keep in mind that you HAVE to match the watts of the bulb to the watts of the fixture. Take a look at your bulb, if it's 13watts you need to make sure the fixture is also 13 watts. That is why I was having such a hard time. My bulb is 24" and also an odd wattage of 24 watts.

Both are 15 watts, will this be an issue with not enough UVB output for a hatchling Russian? They're also both 18", which will sit perfectly over the width of my 40 gal breeder.

Tyanna

Wisconsin
What is the distance from light to tort? Also what species is it

12-13" away from a Russian hatchling. I haven't gotten her yet, weather is too cold to ship. Just want to work out little details now to make sure it's ready for her.