UV- lamp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gem

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Somerset, UK
Does this lamp sound right for my hermans? D3+ (12%) Reptile Lamp. Or should I get a lamp that gives out UVA and B?

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
Greetings ~

Obviously, the bestest light is sunlight, but when my torts are indoors, I use a bulb that is UVA & B ~ Also, I do not touch the bulbs, but place them in the socket using a sock to screw them in place with, thus avoiding any oils on the bulb.

Just my own personal opinion,
Hope this helped,
Purpod

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...It depends on what dind of tortoises you have. If they are forest torts, you don't need bright lights, but if you have desser torts, you need the brightest ligihts.
Good luck
Patsy

old4x4

10 Year Member!
Definitely use a UV-B bulb. UV-A is used to "stimulate appetite", but is unnecessary, in my and my 14 yr old iguana's opinion ;) For my tort, I use one of the (non heat generating) screw in curly bulbs that has a UV-B output of 5.0 (effective range-12") because Sherman's enclosure is 16" high and the bulb hangs down. The UV-b 10.0 has a range of 2 feet and would be overkill if your tort is only a short distance from it. I like the bulbs from EXO-TERRA (Repti Glo).
If you have one of the cool lights like I have, you can touch it with your fingers. It's just a fluorescent bulb. I have a separate heating bulb. Hope this info helps.

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
Hey Robyn,

Xllnt articles, 'specially the one about the new phosfor blends, etc.. Thanx so much for keeping us up to date on the highly important topic of lighting for our loved ones! You Rock!

Thanx again,
Purpod

mrvrsick

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
SGV, CA
i saw nothing on the exo-terra light, which is what i use. ive heard good things about it but this article makes me wonder...
speedy gets his sunlight everyday so im just worried about the other thing...

mrvrsick

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
SGV, CA
that link starts to worry me :[
i have the curly 10.0 but now im afraid that im giving my hatchling sulcata too much uv =/
can having this bulb roughly 18 in away from his basking site be bad for him? eye irritation? the figures given are very misleading :/

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
mrvrsick said:
that link starts to worry me :[
i have the curly 10.0 but now im afraid that im giving my hatchling sulcata too much uv =/
can having this bulb roughly 18 in away from his basking site be bad for him? eye irritation? the figures given are very misleading :/

Since when are you using the light for your little sulcata?

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...coils & compacts & the ReptiGlo 10 UVB lights have a history of causing eye problems as well as other health problems. Some eye problems have included blindness. The ReptiGlo has caused lethargy, loss of weight because of loss of appetite, inability to metabolize food and calcium. They are not good bulbs.
Good luck
Patsy

mrvrsick

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
SGV, CA
oh my!!! ive been using for about 1 week maybe a bit more. can you back this info up? if so what can i use? merc.vap? if this is true i kneed to know asap, i will stop using if so. search function here i go!!!

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
mrvrsick said:
oh my!!! ive been using for about 1 week maybe a bit more. can you back this info up? if so what can i use? merc.vap? if this is true i kneed to know asap, i will stop using if so. search function here i go!!!

I used the 10.0 for 6 months, when I heard the info, I had the light since 3 months and Hermy was doing great so the vet told me I could continu with it. It was at 18" from her. Next I will buy the 5.0 zoo med compact (the vet told me to use a 5.0 during the winter) and next spring, I will put a T-rex mercury bulb (I will have to go to the states to buy it).

mrvrsick

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
SGV, CA
i was scared silly because speey showed the signs the others have: lethargy and loss of appetite mainly. i stopped the use of the light. i figured i might as well play it safe and get the t-rex merc bulb. how inconvenient is it for you to go to the states to get the bulb?

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
mrvrsick said:
i was scared silly because speey showed the signs the others have: lethargy and loss of appetite mainly. i stopped the use of the light. i figured i might as well play it safe and get the t-rex merc bulb. how inconvenient is it for you to go to the states to get the bulb?

If Speedy shows the signs, You made the good decision to stop using the light. for the T-rex mercury bulb Hmm well I have to order it and make it deliver to my boyfriend's cousin in Connecticut. And I have to go there get it (it is a 8 hours drive to go).

mrvrsick

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
SGV, CA
i was thinking and the best answer i could come up with is that natural sunlight would be best. i live in cali for crying out loud! its always warm. i would have to build an outdoor enclosure because i have no back yard, but its better than 100 bucks for the bulb (externally ballasted)

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Crazy1 said:
Isa, you might want to get the Mega Ray http://www.reptileuv.com/megaray-products.php
they ship to Canada. So you could have it shipped directly to you and I have heard that the Mega Ray is one of the best MVB on the market.

Thanks Robyn :D
It could save me a trip to Connecticut. I think I am going to get that instead of the T-rex.

Status
Not open for further replies.