Basking lamp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laura77

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Scotland UK
Hi I was looking at a 100w basking lamp that say it's also provides UVA and UVB so this may seem like a silly question but .....

Would this lamp be suitable or would I be better buying a basking lamp and a separate UVA/UVB lamp

Thanks Laura

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The light of choice now-a-days is an MVB (mercury vapor bulb). It provides heat plus UV. The most popular light is the Zoo Med Powersun. But they're pretty expensive.

If you are able to get your tortoise outside in some sun for about 3 or 4 hours per week, then the need for a good, expensive light isn't so important.

Laura77

5 Year Member
Scotland UK
Hi Yvonne thanks for replying my tort would be outside as often as poss but the weather in Scotland is unpredictable. So it wouldn't really make a diff if I had one lamp that provided both heat and UV ??

Laura

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm not understanding what you mean by "make a difference."

Most of us DO use the lights that provide heat plus UV.

Laura77

5 Year Member
Scotland UK
Sorry what would be best one lamp that provides heat and uv or two separate lamps

Laura

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Laura77 said:
Hi I was looking at a 100w basking lamp that say it's also provides UVA and UVB so this may seem like a silly question but .....

Would this lamp be suitable or would I be better buying a basking lamp and a separate UVA/UVB lamp

Thanks Laura

The only lamp you would ever need is the Zoo Med Powersun. If you're new to the hobby, you're first reaction is going to be YIKES! $50 for a light bulb!?!? But take into mind that it's a Mercury Vapor Bulb...heat, UVA and UVB all in one perfect package! Also, you can find them for considerably less on ebay.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
ZooMed, Powersun is the best!
I Personaly Have An Exa terra heat and uvb,
But i take my tortoise out daily when the weathers nice

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I also agree. In your area, the best solution is going to be a mercury vapor bulb. Simple, easy, and the most effective alternative in my opinion. Still, get him outside as much as the weather will permit.

Laura77

5 Year Member
Scotland UK
Thanks Jacob & Tom for the advice, when I eventually get my tort he will spend as much time outside as poss

Laura

greenhead

5 Year Member
But my problem with powersun is they make the room so hot. Any suggestion or tips when use powersun, particularly if you got a few tortoise can't house together.

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
100w Powersun is all I use. AC is set for 78F (26C) as an insurance policy that nobody cooks especially the snakes.

I have tuned the lamp timer to only be on when the Torts are up. That is, a couple hours before they pop-up and off at just before sunset. Right now that's 10AM to 5PM. They are already burrowed back in by then and have the last hour of light to scavenge for a last snack or plan for tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.