Urban myth or reality?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carlotta84

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bristol, UK
Hi everyone,
I have a question for the tortoise expert… I know it seems to be a dumb one… but as I have the possibility to ask someone with more experience than me… I will try!!!
Someone told me that the more space a tortoise gets, the more she will grow and the less space she will gets the less she will grow…
Is that true or is it an urban myth??
Is the growth rate influenced by the enclosure/environment space conditions??

Thank you very much!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
That is a urban myth, one still commonly held today.

samanosuke

5 Year Member
malaysia
how about hatchlings??i heard that if there are too much space, their growth will be slower??is that also a myth??

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
In tortoises of any age, growth depends on food as in how much they eat, not space, so I would call it a myth.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
wellington said:
Myth. It is also a myth about fish.

Fish, reptiles, amphibians....definitely myth. Personally, I have another term for it, but it wouldn't be prudent to say it here on the public forums! :p

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Myth. All myth. The size of the enclosure has nothing to do with how big a fish, tortoise, alligator, etc... is genetically programmed to get. Now horrible conditions, the wrong temps, poor diet, etc..., CAN stunt an animals growth. But a small, or large, enclosure, no.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
In a way, isn't it kinda too bad it's not true? I mean, if the animal could control it's size to match it's area where it would live in, think of the implications not only in captive animals, but wild ones. Also keeping in mind, if this controlled size ability did not mean the animal was in any way unhealthy.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
As most of you know, I operate a turtle and tortoise rescue. I have taken in turtles and tortoises from Joe the Plumber and from Susie Cream Cheese, and also from confiscations and siezures. So I have seen many, many badly taken care of and abused turtles and tortoises.

I have received sulcatas and desert tortoises in 10 gallon aquariums where the tortoise was so big inside the aquarium, he had to stand on his back legs in order to turn around in the tank.

So, to answer your question - total myth.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
emysemys said:
As most of you know, I operate a turtle and tortoise rescue. I have taken in turtles and tortoises from Joe the Plumber and from Susie Cream Cheese, and also from confiscations and siezures.

Wait....YOU know Susie Cream Cheese?! :p

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
StudentoftheReptile said:
emysemys said:
As most of you know, I operate a turtle and tortoise rescue. I have taken in turtles and tortoises from Joe the Plumber and from Susie Cream Cheese, and also from confiscations and siezures.

Wait....YOU know Susie Cream Cheese?! :p

Don't tell me, Susie is one of your friends, too????

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Total myth. Not even true for fish. Their growth may be stunted due to build up of waste in their tank, or inadequate oxygen. That is more likely to happen in a smaller tank, but it could happen anywhere. Also, it's not that they're "adjusting their growth" to suit their environment. It's just that they're growth is stunted due to poor health, like in malnourished land animals, from tortoises to people.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Wow...could you imagine the size of CDT (the few left that is) out in the middle of the Mohave????? How fricken sweet would that be to be camping in the desert to wake up to a fifty foot tall CDT.....ah I can see the news now.....lol

Apologies...my mind just ran a muck with the thought.....thanks for the smile....and oh yeah, a general myth of the now a day torts....now if you want to start a thread about torts and critters a million + years ago and how evolution has adjusted size for environment, Im in....:p:D;)

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
ascott said:
Wow...could you imagine the size of CDT (the few left that is) out in the middle of the Mohave????? How fricken sweet would that be to be camping in the desert to wake up to a fifty foot tall CDT.....ah I can see the news now.....lol

See now ya know the real reason CA has so many earthquakes... CDT stampedes! :D

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
I've always wanted to meet susie cream cheese, she sounds tasty.
Sorry for going OT. Still a myth.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Now, what isn't a myth, I don't care who tries to tell you it is a myth, is the fact, that most, if not all of the people on this forum are NUTS, CRAZY, WACKO. Sorry, I had to remove all doubt:p:D

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
:( words hurt, especially when you throw dictionaries.

Status
Not open for further replies.