Urban myth or reality?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Just so we don't derail this thread, it is still a myth.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
All the above about animals, reptiles, fish, etc is a myth. The above about TFO members not a myth.:D

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I really did think that was true for Goldfish.. I never gave it much thought.. its just the way it always was... Mine were in a 35 gallon tank and Ive seen others much bigger in bigger tanks..
But it was just a fish thing..

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
If I recall correctly gold fish are the exception, Kristina said ( if I remember right) they release a chemical when they are in cramped space, which stops growth.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Goldfish will out grow their tank, they are not the exception.The big problem with goldfish, is they are thought to be able to be kept in a bowl, with no filtration. Goldfish are one of the dirtiest fish. They really need more room then the average fish. One goldfish should be kept in no less then a 20 gallon tank, with filtration. They grow slow because they are never kept in the proper condition. Water quality is the biggest factor in the growth rate of a fish. They really are not suppose to be kept in a bowl, not properly kept. Very few are probably ever kept the way they should be to properly grow at the rate they are suppose to. They are also a very hardy fish, so they live in the poor conditions they are kept, but they do not thrive or grow properly in the poor conditions.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
wellington said:
Goldfish will out grow their tank, they are not the exception.The big problem with goldfish, is they are thought to be able to be kept in a bowl, with no filtration. Goldfish are one of the dirtiest fish. They really need more room then the average fish. One goldfish should be kept in no less then a 20 gallon tank, with filtration. They grow slow because they are never kept in the proper condition. Water quality is the biggest factor in the growth rate of a fish. They really are not suppose to be kept in a bowl, not properly kept. Very few are probably ever kept the way they should be to properly grow at the rate they are suppose to. They are also a very hardy fish, so they live in the poor conditions they are kept, but they do not thrive or grow properly in the poor conditions.

Indeed. Keep a goldfish in a bowl and do regular water changes, and you'll see it outgrow the bowl!

I've seen goldfish and cichlids grow nearly the size of footballs in 10-20 gal tanks. Habitat size has little to do with it. Ideal care and proper diet does.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Hmmm... I think this entire thread is a myth. And I am beginning to have my doubts about TFO!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
wellington said:
LOL, Oh no, here we go. This could really go off the deep end :p:D

Could??? It already has. :D

wellington said:
Now, what isn't a myth, I don't care who tries to tell you it is a myth, is the fact, that most, if not all of the people on this forum are NUTS, CRAZY, WACKO. Sorry, I had to remove all doubt:p:D

Hmmm I must be that rare exception, because I am not nuts, crazy or the least bit wacko. :tort:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
StudentoftheReptile said:
wellington said:

Indeed. Keep a goldfish in a bowl and do regular water changes, and you'll see it outgrow the bowl!

I've seen goldfish and cichlids grow nearly the size of footballs in 10-20 gal tanks. Habitat size has little to do with it. Ideal care and proper diet does.

TRUE! I once had a guy bring in a 12" Oscar that he swore was raised and living in a ten gallon. I didn't believe him. He told me he was very fastidious about keeping it clean. Partial water changes three times a week, lots of resh activated carbon, big canister filter, etc. he came back later with the tank and it was indeed a 10x20x12" 10 gallon tank. This fish was a bit mishappen, but he did measure just short of 12", counting the tail. I saw some craaaaaazy stuff in my pet store days, I tell ya'.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Jacqui said:
wellington said:
LOL, Oh no, here we go. This could really go off the deep end :p:D

Could??? It already has. :D

wellington said:
Now, what isn't a myth, I don't care who tries to tell you it is a myth, is the fact, that most, if not all of the people on this forum are NUTS, CRAZY, WACKO. Sorry, I had to remove all doubt:p:D

Hmmm I must be that rare exception, because I am not nuts, crazy or the least bit wacko. :tort:

LOL you were my inspiration for thinking of the right way to phrase it:p:D luv
ya:rolleyes:

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hmmm I must be that rare exception, because I am not nuts, crazy or the least bit wacko.

BAAAHAAAAHAAAA *wrenching my side from the laughter pains* :p:D;)

Oh yeah, back on topic...still a myth :D

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
Someone I work with recently said this to me, " if you keep your tortoise in a small tank, won't it stay small?". I had never heard this before! It seems silly, but there are people who do actually believe this.

Status
Not open for further replies.