Accelerated growth/ small enclosure

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Wayland, NY
My russian tortoise has shown some signs of accelerated growth. The new growth also appears to be slightly pyramided. She is 5 inches now, and still in her 4'x2' enclosure, because my parents refuse to let me get her a used book shelf this year. They said maybe in the spring. When she pulls into shell she looks a bit overweight too. We already have plans for an outdoor enclosure, it will be anywhere between 10'x5' to 10'x10'. I am moving to a larger room in my house next summer, which will allow me more space for an indoor enclosure. That would be a good time to get an indoor enclosure set up. Will she be "unhealthy" from living this way for 5-6 more months? Is a 10'x5' outdoor enclosure big enough? And is a 6'x3' indoor enclosure sufficient? Also, is the pyramiding from a poor diet or not enough space? She has been fed mostly a variety of grocery store greens with some plants from the seed mix off of carolina pet supply.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
6x3' should be okay for one tortoise indoors.

If your tortoise is fat, it is most likely due to that small enclosure and not enough room to exercise, as well as too much of the wrong foods.

For outdoors, the bigger the better. I'd much rather see your tortoise in a 10x10', minimum.

Pyramiding is caused by growth in conditions that are too dry. Cover the top, dampen the substrate more, add a humid hide and soak daily to help offset a too dry enclosure.

There is a care sheet at the top of the Russian page.

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
Tom said:
If your tortoise is fat, it is most likely due to that small enclosure and not enough room to exercise, as well as too much of the wrong foods.

Wrong foods? I thought I was feeding a well variety... I feed Mazuri once to twice a week, opuntia once a week, then two to three different greens that are rotated out on a weekly or bi-weekly period. And she also gets dandelion, clover, and different variety of plantain in the warm months. Is this enough variety and the right foods? I have seen the Russian care sheet several times, so I thought I was doing okay in that aspect of care.