Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
No. That's one of the things I intend to watch before I build the big one. It doesn't seem to be a problem for most people, but my intention is to cover that area with a tarp on the rare occasion that it should rain out here.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
So, I trust it's going to be built on a higher elevation part of the property? I'm not trying to mess with you Tom...I'm planning on building two underground concrete bunkers...in accordance with what the guy from AZ (I think his name was Trent?) had built under his patio.,,so more than anything else, I'm just picking your brain!;)

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Tom said:
Thanks for the pics Terryo.

Candy, the opening is only around 7x10" so nothing big enough to eat a 6-7" tortoise couldn't really fit in there. Plus the lid comes off really easily, so I can check it before I put her out there. Plus we don't have predator problems out at the ranch.

O.K. I'm glad to hear that I was a little worried. Maybe I'll think about this for Fernando I'm sure he would love to hide like that. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
DeanS said:
So, I trust it's going to be built on a higher elevation part of the property? I'm not trying to mess with you Tom...I'm planning on building two underground concrete bunkers...in accordance with what the guy from AZ (I think his name was Trent?) had built under his patio.,,so more than anything else, I'm just picking your brain!;)

No problem Dean. Pick away. The whole property is on a very gentle downhill slope and drains very well. This one is pretty much toward the top and the big one, if I build it, will be at the very top.

One more time, just bring yourself on over anytime you like and have a look. You must pass right by me twice a day. Good lord man, what's it gonna take?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Check out these numbers!!! This is the reason I built this! The top number is the temp at the probe which is underground, in the bunker. Then second number is the humidity at the probe. It sits right next to Daisy. The next two side by side numbers are the high and low over the last 24 hour period. The lower two numbers are the temp and humidity where the unit is sitting. In this case, above ground, in the shade, at 5:30pm yesterday. For some reason this gauge never goes below 16% humidity although I know its lower than that according to all my other gauges. The temp was 110-115 all day, but by 5:30pm it had dropped all the way to 107.

of837k.jpg

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Damn Tom! Those numbers are so perfect...it's unreal! Good job!

Jermosh

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
I like that setup, termites would have a buffet though. :)

Maybe bricks and composite timber. Do you have a caliche layer over there as well? I will have to rent a jack hammer for anything lower then 1-2' in my yard.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Jermosh said:
I like that setup, termites would have a buffet though. :)

Maybe bricks and composite timber. Do you have a caliche layer over there as well? I will have to rent a jack hammer for anything lower then 1-2' in my yard.

Yeah, wood lasts forever underground here. No termite or rot problems for me. Sorry I don't know what a caliche layer is, so I'm pretty sure we don't have one. There are a lot of rocks in the ground here, but I just work around it. I'm waiting for the first big rain to see if it floods or not. If not then I'll probably start designing a big one for the adults.

Thanks Tracy.

froghaven5

5 Year Member
New Jersey
Really cool. My little guy is too small to think of this now and wood definitely wouldn't work here, but I'll be watching this thread to see how things go and remembering it for the future.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Status
Not open for further replies.