INDOOR Underground Housing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
I was convinced for awhile to repeat that mantra - "Aquariums are bad." I have since changed my mind and I am back to using aquariums, so I stand behind Tom on that one 100%!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
ripper7777777 said:
You know this is gonna cause issue with the anti aquarium no air circulation people, I hope your prepared..... :p

So how wet is it in their basement?

Keep us posted and updated with lots of pics, I may incorporate this idea into my outdoor table I have to build in spring. I was planning a burrow like that video on youtube, but this setup gives me a much better idea allowing access.

Oh those folks already know where I stand, and I know where they stand. Its all okay.

The basement is damp but not wet. If you grab a handful of the coir and squeeze it you won't get a lot of drips, but your hand will be wet.

This idea was inspired by many others, so I can only hope that it in turn, inspires others. I would love to see other people's version of this with different innovations and improvements. We have some talented, creative people here on this forum and I'd love to see what they can do.

Kristina said:
I was convinced for awhile to repeat that mantra - "Aquariums are bad." I have since changed my mind and I am back to using aquariums, so I stand behind Tom on that one 100%!

Kristina, at the very least you stand beside me... I've learned more from you than you have from me.

kbaker

5 Year Member
Michigan
Tom said:
kbaker said:
How natural is it to bask on a flat rock?;)

I was thinking of all sorts of clever comebacks for you :), but it just keeps occurring to me that the answer is truly, "I don't know." There could be a huge field of flat rocks right next to where all the wild females lay their eggs, and upon hatching each baby digs out and goes and finds its own flat rock to bask on...

I know, just being silly... :D

But seriously, do you recommend no basking rock?

I am no better than you as we are all kind of guessing. I just don't see then looking for a rock to go sit on to bask. Mine find an open spot in the sun and stretch out. They don't look for heighth or a specific ground - just where the sun is shining. When we put them in an enclosure, they figure out the heat is under the light bulb and will go there no matter what is under it. Maybe a good experiment would be to set up two basking lights and put different surfaces under each - a flat rock, dirt, grass, wood...and let them give us an idea what they like.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
My leopard has a flag stone flat rock under the light, and he never goes on it. Always towards the corner just on the coir substrate, next to the rock. Hmmm:D

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hi Tom...so what if instead of trying to hang the light from above you simply mount it behind the tank towards the rim level and tilt it towards the tank? This will allow illumination without having to be hung? :D

codyv34

5 Year Member
i think i'm going to use your Pvc idea to make a hide/ second tier in part of my enclosure, thanks for the inspiration!

codyv34

5 Year Member
wellington said:
codyv34 said:
i think i'm going to use your Pvc idea to make a hide/ second tier in part of my enclosure, thanks for the inspiration!

PICTURES PLEASE:D

Once it is finish they will be up!

the plan is to use the pvc as the frame, and then plastic as the platform for the top tier and ramp to get up to it. and then ill attach Hermit crab climbing fiber, that way it will give something for the tort to grip onto, but still have some flow in with the rest of the enclosure, hopefully with in the next week :)

jkingler

5 Year Member
the plan is to use the pvc as the frame, and then plastic as the platform for the top tier and ramp to get up to it.
Same here, but I am using Lexan. Should be fun to have a see through floor. Wonder if they will be spooked by it, necessitating lots of ground cover, or if I can just dab it here and there and observe life in the undergrowth. :p

and then ill attach Hermit crab climbing fiber, that way it will give something for the tort to grip onto
Where do you get that from?

ripper7777777

10 Year Member!
Houston
That's how mine are setup, pvc frame, acrylic deck with a ramp, I even have hermit crabs in with peanut to keep him company.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Hermit Crabs...? hmmmm...., how well do they cohabitate? arn't crabs meat-eaters? I don't think they would hurt your tort, but those 2 creatures have no common link to form a symbiosis except to mutually ignore one another.

ripper7777777

10 Year Member!
Houston
Zamric said:
Hermit Crabs...? hmmmm...., how well do they cohabitate? arn't crabs meat-eaters? I don't think they would hurt your tort, but those 2 creatures have no common link to form a symbiosis except to mutually ignore one another.

Not to go to far from topic, but Hermit Crabs have premade stick food but they also love a long list of veggies and fruits.

My Hermit Crabs are all small to very small, thus no worries about hurting a tort. But I want to point out that my Hermit Crabs are also considered pets as well as scavengers. I do not put them in with my redfoots, I don't want to chance a crab becoming a snack.

If you search the web and or this forum you will find it's actually very common to combine the two pets.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
ripper7777777 said:
You know this is gonna cause issue with the anti aquarium no air circulation people, I hope your prepared..... :p

Maybe that's why the tortoises don't use it that often? Still, it's an ingenious idea.

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
My new set-up is still going strong so I didn't want to completely scrap it yet but with this as inspiration I put in a HUGE humid hide (like 1/4 of my Christmas tree box) and built up coir and dirt around it so Levi can easily get up there...he sort of has a loft, so thanks for the ideas Tom!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
ShadowRancher said:
My new set-up is still going strong so I didn't want to completely scrap it yet but with this as inspiration I put in a HUGE humid hide (like 1/4 of my Christmas tree box) and built up coir and dirt around it so Levi can easily get up there...he sort of has a loft, so thanks for the ideas Tom!

I don't see any problem with your current set up. :)

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
Tom said:
ShadowRancher said:

I don't see any problem with your current set up. :)

I know I'm just tinkering ;) and I wanted a little extra space now :D the faux burrow style that was the purpose here was obviously amazing but I like the actual doubling of floor space...I feel that many double level setups are just a ton of work without a whole lot of space payoff by the time the ramps and things are tort safe, this seems to solve that problem.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
JonahQKline said:
This is AMAZING! Awesome! Might have to steal your idea

I hope you do! Just post pics so we can all see your version.

Status
Not open for further replies.